Gtx 760 - Low Gpu Usage. Upgrade card or get a new cpu/mobo ??

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Here again...

So I picked up a geforce gtx 760 OC card to accompany my older phenom II x4 955 be and noticed in games that my GPU usage is rather low and dips downwards a lot.. and it is never at a high usage unless I run a benchmark (Unigine). I feel the card is under performing, and I was told I'd see quite the difference coming from a 560ti. The card itself, is typically at 40-50% usage, and sometimes, SOMETIMES, hits 75-80 when standing alone. I'm thinking its a cpu botteneck but I'm no professional here, so that is why I'm asking you guys. I have tried clean driver installs with driver sweeper and other recommended trouble-shoots to no avail. So now I have my eyes on a new cpu and motherboard.

Here is what I am thinking of picking up and I have two options, so please enlighten me if I am making a mistake.. I'd rather save some money on this as I just purchased that 760, so keep in mind that if one only renders a bit more performance over the other, I'd prefer the cheaper route.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
+

VS

+

or should i Spend a bit more and get a i5 3750k? Only if the difference will be quite noticeable.

Now, will any of these choices fix my botteneck or could something else be causing this LOW GPU usage on my 760? If so, I have 5 more days to return my card, and could always pick up a 770 or a 280x instead, but if that is the case, I wouldn't be upgrading to a new cpu/mobo combo.

Few questions I need answered please since I have been on the forums here looking for difference perspectives lately:

1. Is there a big difference between the UD3 AND UD3P motherboards, and if so or not, which should I get if I choose to purchase.

2. Is the difference big comparing the fx6350 to a fx8350, or should I just save the $60 and pick up a 6350?

3. I'm guessing a cpu/mobo combo is the wiser choice to accompany my 760, but should i maybe retunr the card and get a more expensive one, or am I just giving more reasons for a botteneck.

Thank you so much, I will check up on the thread often through out the night.

Solution
First of all, links are not working. Second thing is, you should replace the CPU/MB. Your current CPU is the cause of bottleneck.

Go with this setup :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $334.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-14 07:41 EST-0500)

You will notice a big jump in performance. If you have the budget then you can replace 760 with 770, but I think there is no need to replace 760.
First of all, links are not working. Second thing is, you should replace the CPU/MB. Your current CPU is the cause of bottleneck.

Go with this setup :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $334.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-14 07:41 EST-0500)

You will notice a big jump in performance. If you have the budget then you can replace 760 with 770, but I think there is no need to replace 760.

Solution
I am fine, thanks. I forgot to tell you that, you can see the CPU usage while gaming, and not in idle. So start a game in window mode(not full screen), then open Task Manager, and see the CPU usage. That's how you get the real situation.

And if you have some more questions, you can talk to me in PM. I think Mods will be disappointed if we talk here on another's thread. Hope you understand.

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for the reply lonewolf, however i already picked out what i am buying. Sort of on a budget so i have been advised getting the Fx 8320 and the asus m5 r2.0 mobo is a popular build combo. As much as i would like to try the intel route, it just does not fit budget.

TRENDING THREADS