[SOLVED] GTX 770 2GB --- 100% fans speed and black screen on every boot ?

Jun 29, 2021
Hi,
At the begining of 2021 I bought used GTX 770 2GB from Gigabyte and it was working well for 2/3 months until one day. I was sitting on discord with my friends when suddenly screen went black and fans ramped up to 100%. At first i thought that was an error or something so I restarted my computer and nothing. GPU 100% and black screen, there wasn't even a single signal to monitor when booting because the led on it remained brown when it should change to blue. It hasn't changed, to this day i never got it to boot into windows its always black screen and 100% fans speed. I have tried many things putting it into another pcie slot, removing ram and switching places & booting with only one stick inside, removing my ssd to see if it is a problem with the system, removing cmos battery for 5 minutes, changing thermal paste and still nothing has changed. When I was using it before that the temps weren't going above 75C so I dont think that the GPU burned itself.

Notes:
The PC is running normally when I have my GT 730 plugged in which does not need a power cable so its powered just from PCIe slot.
By a mistake I turned on PC when my GTX 770 wasn't plugged into PCIe slot but PSU cables were plugged into GPU and the fans started spinning normally like it would before this day when it broke, after that I instantly turned off computer, plugged GPU in and again 100% fans speed and black screen.

My PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (not overclocked)
GPU's: ASUS GT 730 (working), Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 3X OC Version 2GB (not working)
RAM: Goodram 2x8 GB 3000MHz Cl16
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4
Storage: Goodram M.2 512GB PX500
Power Supply: SilentiumPC Vero L3 500W 80 Plus Bronze (polish brand)
System: Windows 10 Pro

Now as my birthday is coming I want to know should buy a better PSU or just a new GPU. Because I heard that some of the problems with 100% fan speed and black screen were caused by the PSU but my PC cant even boot with GTX 770 in it and as I know PSU's dont just half work and half not so it shouldn't run with my GT 730 inside.

Solution
Ok I'll try to, if I wouldn't be able to test it in someone else PC I will probably just buy a new PSU and see it for myself. Is But I wanna ask, is it possible that my GPU could kill mine PSU? Like kill the cables that deliver power to GPU or damage it because I checked them both alone and they still gave power because GPU was spinning loudly.
One of the possibilities, so yeah. If the PSU isnt good enough at distributing and filtering power both input and output, gpu would fail to deliver the work, but thats "if" its the case, another possibilites is that your gpu has aged or somethings up within the internal, might want to check on a computer repair shop.

Thats why the first option by me is to test it on someone else first...
One way to find out is to try the gpu at someone else PC with a good psu. I looked on google that your psu is 230v, so your in house voltage distribution should be around 200-230V. If the gpu could be booted from ur friends pc, something must be up with your system. Also if you tought on changing the psu, grab FSP HV Pro 550w or from Cougar brand.

Jun 29, 2021
One way to find out is to try the gpu at someone else PC with a good psu. I looked on google that your psu is 230v, so your in house voltage distribution should be around 200-230V. If the gpu could be booted from ur friends pc, something must be up with your system. Also if you tought on changing the psu, grab FSP HV Pro 550w or from Cougar brand.
Ok I'll try to, if I wouldn't be able to test it in someone else PC I will probably just buy a new PSU and see it for myself. Is But I wanna ask, is it possible that my GPU could kill mine PSU? Like kill the cables that deliver power to GPU or damage it because I checked them both alone and they still gave power because GPU was spinning loudly.

One of the possibilities, so yeah. If the PSU isnt good enough at distributing and filtering power both input and output, gpu would fail to deliver the work, but thats "if" its the case, another possibilites is that your gpu has aged or somethings up within the internal, might want to check on a computer repair shop.

Thats why the first option by me is to test it on someone else first.

Other way is to reflash the bios using nvflash.

Final way is to bring it to computer repair shop and try to indicate the problem, could be broken solder balls or vram problems.

Solution