GTX 770 2GB or 4GB for triple 1080p gaming

adamcnb

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
I'm currently running 1x HD7850 and it's starting to give out. I had pretty much decided to go with a GTX 770 when I upgraded, but recently a buddy had asked me if I was intending to go 2GB or 4GB. I hadn't really considered it and now I'm a bit lost. I know that at lower resolutions a 2GB card should be fine for 1-2 monitors. The point he had attempted to make was that because I multi-box several games and run a third monitor that the 2GB card would struggle. Normally I run 3-4 instances of Eve Online, along with a browser or video player in the background. This has normally involved somewhat low FPS of around 30-40. He had suggested that a 4GB card would offer me significant performance boost over a 2GB card based on my activities. Although I trust him, I was looking for a few more opinions before making a choice.

Solution

Unless...

NiwaStanley

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

Dude, I have 3 monitors and a 55" LG Smart TV running and I have an MSI 770 GTX Lightning Edition 2GB. You will be fine with 2GB.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Still pointless on the gtx 770 unless you SLI 2 of them. 1 gtx 770 cannot effectively make use of more than 2gb - been proven in many benchmarks.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

The amount of monitors is irrelevant, its the resolution and total amount of pixels. But yes, the usual resolution for tripple monitor is 5760x1080:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

MainChart.jpg

If you plan to SLI though, then the 4Gb would be a good bet, as vram doesnt stack and the extra power of the additional GPU will help it utilize the 4Gb.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

What are you talking about? I dont think gaming is even possible if you have all 3 running at different resolutions. Does Eyefinity/nvidia surround even support that?

3x 1080p screens (5760x1080) is the standard for triple monitor gaming.

adamcnb

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

Thanks for the chart. So even if I am using all three monitors for gaming, I shouldn't notice any major lose in performance by going with a 2GB card over 4GB card?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Unless you plan to run 2 cards in SLI, in which case the 4Gb may give you a performance advantage.

Solution

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Thats where I think you are wrong. 3x 1080p monitors seems like the standard especially for triple monitor gaming.

Im also pretty sure its not possible to game on 3 monitors UNLESS they are all running the same resolution.

TRENDING THREADS