GTX 770 4GB vram VS GTX 780 3GB Vram

lord hircine

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Say if im playing Skyrim with mods, using a total of 3.5 vram. In this case would a gtx 770 4gb vram actually give me better fps than a gtx 780 3gb vram? even tho the 780 is suppose to better than the 770?

Solution
If the system memory ran at a sixth, or better, of the speed of the video cards memory then I would call close enough to a draw, but the superior GPU will make a vastly huge difference.

Just because it loads 3.5GB of data to the video card does not mean that every frame rendered needs all of that data (if it did the game would get around 62.6fps assuming that there was no other bottleneck or 'delay' in the rendering pipeline, which we can safely say is false anyway).

Since one sixth of 153.6 GB/sec = 25.6GB/sec (in video card speak they only divide by 1000, not 1024), and those video cards have GDDR5-VRAM in that ballpark (actually higher, but not substantially) I'd say the GTX770 would perform better but only if every...

TheLastDoomguy

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
If the system memory ran at a sixth, or better, of the speed of the video cards memory then I would call close enough to a draw, but the superior GPU will make a vastly huge difference.

Just because it loads 3.5GB of data to the video card does not mean that every frame rendered needs all of that data (if it did the game would get around 62.6fps assuming that there was no other bottleneck or 'delay' in the rendering pipeline, which we can safely say is false anyway).

Since one sixth of 153.6 GB/sec = 25.6GB/sec (in video card speak they only divide by 1000, not 1024), and those video cards have GDDR5-VRAM in that ballpark (actually higher, but not substantially) I'd say the GTX770 would perform better but only if every frame rendered required the use of all of that 3.5GB of data which is highly unlikely, but not impossible!.

- If the system memory was Dual-Channel at 2333 MHz (which may not be available) then it wouldn't matter.

- If every frame only uses a fraction of that 3.5GB then it also wouldn't matter.

If the GTX770 with 4GB VRAM can sustain 64.11 fps with 3.5GB of texture (and other data) loaded to it then it would actually be faster than a GTX780 with 4GB VRAM depending on the rest of the system specs.

It comes down to the individual frame complexity and what is in the scene being rendered.

If it's mostly shader or other GPU intensive stuff then the GTX780 would easily win out.

If it's mostly data being pulled from Video RAM then the GTX770 with 4GB of VRAM would pull ahead.

I'd love the see the actual figures as you could reverse engineer a lot of useful data from them!

Solution

I3lood Eagle

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Holy sweet mother of R9 295x2, You my friend went above and beyond the call. Usually I don't congratulate people on dead threads especially from last year, but props to you my friend... Damn fine job!

delta_pak

Honorable
Jun 21, 2014

Sweet onions, is it OK if I understood nothing of what you just said?

FunSurfer

Distinguished
Even if the modes use more than 3GB VARM, the player will get better FPS (average and minimum) with the GTX 780, BUT Skyrim will cut down more of the distant view details (you can't see that on a simple benchmark). So to summarize things up, GTX 780 3GB = better performance, less distant landscape details, GTX 770 4GB = less performance, more distant landscape details.