[SOLVED] GTX 770 and Lan Card is not working after attaching Adata SX8200 Pro 512gb SSD via PCIe x8 or x4 slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2021
Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post.

I built a system in 2013 with -

Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7 Motherboard
Samsung 840BW Evo 250gb SSD
2 Other WD HDD
G.Skill 16Gb DDR3 Ram
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless PCIe card
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6ghz CPU
NVIDIA GTX 770 4gb Graphics Card
Windows 7 Ultimate OS

I mainly built it for my animation and graphics work and it's working great. Since I bought it, I'm running Windows 7 because I had a lot of program installed and I was comfortable with Win7, so I didn't migrate to Windows 10. Now I need to upgrade to Windows 10, so I bought another ADATA SX8200 Pro 512gb (M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4) SSD. It has reading capability upto 3500MB/s and writing upto 3000mb/s.

In my Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7 Motherboard I have a slot for M.2 SSD near the CPU, but I saw in various forum that people are talking about if I put my SSD there I won't get read-write speed more than 500-600mb/s. But if I use my PCIe slot and use a adapter I will be able to get maximum speed. So I got a ORICO NVME M.2 Expansion Card (PSM2) Output PCIe 3.0 Gen3 x4.

Now I still have Windows 7 and when I put my SSD in PCIe x8 and PCIe x4 slot (tried both), my windows 7 couldn't recognize the drive and instantly I was unable to see anything on my monitor. So I took off my HDMI cable from my graphics card and put it to the HDMI port built-in my motherboard. I was able turn on the monitor but when I went to bios I can see the SSD, but when I open Windows 7 there's no drive. I installed some third party drivers (one from Lenevo) for M.2 SSD and now I can see my SSD in Windows 7. But I lost my GTX 770 graphics card and My Lan Card. I don't see it in the device manager list at all.

I installed Windows 10 in new SSD, but still my graphics card and Lan card is not found by windows 10. My Bios is Updated.

What should I do so that I can get the max speed of my new SSD and use the graphics card & lan card in Windows 10 without any problem? Please help! Thanks in advance.

Solution
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-7-rev-10/sp#sp
  • The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX8 and PCIEX16 slots. When the PCIEX4 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode and the PCIEX8 will operate at up to x4 mode.
  • When installing a x8 or above card in the PCIEX4 slot, make sure to set PCIE Slot Configuration (CPU) in BIOS Setup to x4. (Refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Peripherals," for more information.)
(The PCIEX16, PCIEX8 and PCIEX4 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

rgd1101

Don't
  • The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX8 and PCIEX16 slots. When the PCIEX4 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode and the PCIEX8 will operate at up to x4 mode.
  • When installing a x8 or above card in the PCIEX4 slot, make sure to set PCIE Slot Configuration (CPU) in BIOS Setup to x4. (Refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Peripherals," for more information.)

Solution
Aug 30, 2021

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I checked it long ago, but that's not solving my problem. I have my graphics card installed on PCIe x16, my lan card on PCIe x1. According to the official website, If I install something on x16, and then x8, the x16 will perform x8 mode. I tried my SSD in both x8 and x4, both of them completely disable my Lan and Gfx card.

Also, when I go to bios, I can't select most of the options, it's grayed out. Not sure why. I checked other youtube videos, I can see they don't have grayed out bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.