GTX 770 and PSU compadibility

jamesed84

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
So this should be a relatively easy answer. I am pretty darn tech savvy (work in IT) but to be honest I have never once had to think about PSU's and voltage. I always just over killed the thing so I didn't need to worry about it.

I am currently in the process of upgrading my PC, essentially planning to replace every piece of it over the next 6 months (due to 3 kids b-days and Christmas and all that fun jazz i need to take it in steps). My initial thoughts were to start with the graphics card then do the mb and processor then the memory and case and finally add SSDs. I am just trying to figure out were the PSU fits in the mix.

I want the unit to be functional throughout the process so I don't have any down time from gaming so this leads to my question. I currently have a XION XON-700P12F PSU (runs stable but is a free replacement for a recently deceased Corsair R.I.P.) and I am getting a 770 gtx 4gb because of the recent price cuts (was originally planning a 7970 or r9 280x).

Question 1: Do I absolutely need to replace the power supply now or can I ride it for a month till I replace the mb and processor? I probably wont be putting the card at full load out the gate and would like to avoid purchasing one now if at all possible.

Question 2: If yes then can someone assist me in finding a good PSU for under 100$. I am not looking to future proof on this part but I want something that isn't going to go nuclear or suck the life out of the electrical socket.

Please focus on the PSU portion as that is what I need information on. Just dont want this to spin off into a ATI vs nVidia throwdown since I mentioned price cuts lol. Thanks

Solution
1: Knowing how unreliable Xion is and the fact that it's not 80 plus, I have to recommend that you not use it any longer. Spending 100$ now sure beats the heck out of buying a whole new system.

2: Most any XFX or Seasonic that's rated 80 plus can be had for right at or under 100$

redguy54

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
1: Knowing how unreliable Xion is and the fact that it's not 80 plus, I have to recommend that you not use it any longer. Spending 100$ now sure beats the heck out of buying a whole new system.

2: Most any XFX or Seasonic that's rated 80 plus can be had for right at or under 100$

Solution