GTX 770 & Major Issues

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
The other day when I turned on my new PC, immediately the fans on my Gigabyte GTX 770 went full blast which they never do and nothing displayed on the screen. The system wouldn't turn off by the button either, so I had to switch off the PSU. This happened many times. I fiddled with the internals and finally got it to boot, and at someone's suggestion, reverted back from the latest Nvidia beta drivers to the latest stable drivers (331.82) and it didn't happen again, so I was happy. However, today, I was using the system and all was well, and I had to put it into sleep mode which I have done many times before, but when I woke it up maybe 15 minutes later the fans kicked on full blast and all the other issues happened again. Had to fiddle with the PCIE power connectors again to get the system to boot, and now it is running stable again. My question is, WHAT IS GOING ON??? I'm seriously confused and can't find a solution anywhere, and want to find out if I need to send this GPU back or if there is a fix. Thanks!

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Corsair TX650, I believe the Nvidia recommended minimum PSU is 600W and the 3dGuru tested minimum is 550W so I think I should be good, especially since I get good performance under full load. That's very strange, but I believe it has also happened booting from off state, I don't remember, but if that was the case it was running off of bad drivers as well so I don't know.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

AMD FX-6350 cpu
Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cpu cooler
8GB (4x2) GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 RAM @1600MHz
Corsair 200R case
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Asus DVD/CD Drive

think thats it
Story behind AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU is I had an R9 280X but it went dead very quickly, about 5 minutes after game launch, and I got my CPU for a great deal, so yeah.
What strikes me funny is that it rarely happens, and when the system boots everything is fine, ex. I get around 70-80 fps average in combat in Crysis 2 on full ultra settings 1080p, which is awesome to me. It is just weird rarely, which makes me very nervous.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I hope the card isn't defective and that it's just a glitch, because this will be the second card I will have to RMA in this PC. What a pain.

Brad1479

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
This is pretty common with the Gigabyte Video Cards. They all have some issues with the Firmware. I did three RMA of the same Gigabyte Video Card and they still cant figured out. I am using my on-board video card as I type now :(

Next time go with MSI.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Thats's really unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that. For me, I completely wiped my drivers (which were beta at the time, may have been the issue) and reinstalled the latest stable versions off of a completely clean install and it hasn't happened since. I hate getting bad parts, especially video cards, and I feel your pain. I don't think my situation could help you as that sounds like a broken card, but it has so far helped me. I kept this thread open to see if there was a definite permenant fix, but I think what I did is all I can do, but it has been stable for now. Hope all works out for you!