[SOLVED] GTX 770 on single 8 pin PCI-e power connection

May 14, 2019
So I have a modular CM HX850 PSU and recently bought a GTX 770. I am having a slight problem as I left the rest of my PSU cables in another country (not easy to get posted over) and only have a single 8 pin PCI-e power connection. The GTX 770 I bought requires 2x 8 pin connections it seems.

Can I make do with one? I know my system doesn't draw anywhere near the peak power output of my PSU, but I am wondering if using a single cable is possible/puts my system at risk.

Many thanks!

Solution
Need both for the card to operate. Need your original cables as buying aftermarket / different 8 pin cable has potential of shorting your graphics card because psu and modular cable's aren't unified and wiring can vary. Only exceptions are extender cables.

If can't send your cables over perhaps try your luck contacting Corsair to send you out a cable for your psu.

Or buy another psu or return the 770 and get a 1060 with single supplementary plug.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Need both for the card to operate. Need your original cables as buying aftermarket / different 8 pin cable has potential of shorting your graphics card because psu and modular cable's aren't unified and wiring can vary. Only exceptions are extender cables.

If can't send your cables over perhaps try your luck contacting Corsair to send you out a cable for your psu.

Or buy another psu or return the 770 and get a 1060 with single supplementary plug.

Solution
May 14, 2019

Many thanks for your reply!
I am in fact an idiot, the HX850 comes with 2 non-modular pci-e 8 pins, I had just buried the other in some smart place. Should have read the PSU specification before.