GTX 770 stuttering/ bottlenecking

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I am having a problem with my EVGA GTX 770 which is only about a week old. After around 1-2 hours of gaming I the games begin to stutter/ lag every 1-2 seconds. On GPU-Z it is clear the GPU load is spiking only very slightly but enough to cause lag. My thoughts is it may be a power issue as the power consumption also spikes a little. Mainly I have been playing arma 2 where the frames are showing 70-80 but still lagging.
I am running: gtx 770, 4670k, 8gb 1333, 650w fsp aurum, z87x-oc.
I am getting a new 850w psu soon but want to know what other causes could be, any help would be appreciated thanks

no way it should bottleneck on that cpu. your psu is strong enough so my guess is its your drivers or your monitor has high input lag.
also arma 2 is badly coded so you could be getting 60-70 gps then suddenly your down to 10 then back to 60... it would appear as stuttering. so try another game preferably something well written. (not batman archam or bf4, cod ghost as they 2 have issues) something like bioshock infinite for instance.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I have tried other games before such a splintercell blacklist, and it does the same. I know the cpu is bot bottle necking and the PSU is enough, but my psu's rails are split into four with 19A each, this means I have to use two separate rails with an 8pin and 6pin adapters to run the card safely until I get my other psu and think this may be a problem. Also after a restart it works fine again for long periods of time. only happens every so often.

I have the latest drivers already

that card is rated at needing over 40 amps your psu cant deliver than on 2 combined rails so when you stress the card its liable to quit on you. or at the very least cause your issue.
try the system with another psu preferably 1 with no more than 2 12v rails that can deliver at least 26a each.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
the rated amps is for total system power not just the card. Max load this card would possibly pull 280-300W max, at 12v that is only around 23-25 amps for the card itself. The non-OC'd cpu atm would also only be pulling barley 100-120w so in theory I should really be fine but there is still the possibility it's the PSU. I may have the new one by this weekend and hope to try it out. Only other thing would be ram, but the many times that I think my problem is ram all memtests and memory diagnostics have shown clear so I am confused to why they would do anything (especially since under-volting/clocking is safer if anything).

thing is its a very decent psu for sli-ing/xfireing 2 low to middle spec cards. but it will struggle with 1 high end card because of the low amps spread across 4 rails. it may just be that you bought the wrong psu for that system mate... but good luck with your testing.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Well the PSU was left over from my old build, been buying parts one at a time for my new build so certain things have been inconsistant. Used to run a 2500k and 560ti so hopefully a new PSU will fix my problems.

a1blaster

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
i used many generic psus in my life and never encountered stuttering issues caused by psu...a faulty psu makes your pc freeze or reboot but not cause fps drop...
your problem is caused by faulty driver/windows/virus or faulty software/services that might be ruining your ram...