GTX 770 to GTX 1060

dklee1102

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Hi, I'd like to know if it's worth replacing my 770 2GB with a 1060 6GB. What are the most important things to look for when buying a gpu? How often should I upgrade? I've noticed that my once sufficient video card is insufficient to run the the latest games at high/ultra settings. I dont want to overspend my money, so I'd like a cost efficient recommendation. Also, I'd like to know when video cards are on sale for the lowest price. I'm looking at NCIX, as I live in Canada. Thank you.

Solution
going from a gtx 770 to a gtx 1060 will be a solid upgrade. Some people get a new card every generation, others every other generation. I prefer the every other generation unless I have upgraded my monitor/TV and need the extra horse power. If it were me i would not go more then three generations without upgrading.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
going from a gtx 770 to a gtx 1060 will be a solid upgrade. Some people get a new card every generation, others every other generation. I prefer the every other generation unless I have upgraded my monitor/TV and need the extra horse power. If it were me i would not go more then three generations without upgrading.

Solution

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

I get about 3 within each generation :p

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
How often you upgrade depends on a) what you're using the GPU for, & b) if it can play the games you want at the resolution, FPS and/or quality settings that you want.

As for going by "generation", that only works if your replacement card is an exact match for the prior-generation card you had. For example, my current rig started out with a Radeon HD 6450 (since it was a desktop for use by both myself & my wife, the "general usage" requirements came first, "gaming" came...well, probably 3rd in her mind). When I replaced with an R9 270, I was technically only going up about 1 1/2 generations (the 270 being just a rebranded 7870, & the 7000s were just a generation beyond the 6000s)... but I was going from a low-end budget GPU (one that was so low-powered, it only needed a heat sink instead of actual cooling fans) to a (for the time) mid-range card that used a PCIe power connector & needed 2 big fans to keep cool. In the same way, when I upgraded that to an R9 380, I was technically going up only a generation, I still ended up with a much better GPU.

In your case, going from the GTX 770 to the GTX 1060 is a solid upgrade. It's one of the best (if not the best) GPU for 1080p resolutions, & provides good performance at 1440p resolutions (it might not be able to handle Ultra for all games at 1440p, but it'll still perform well). If you're looking for higher resolutions, though, you might want to consider the 1070 (or even the 1080), provided they're in your budget.

dklee1102

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
I don't know how to reply, but I have an i7 4770K, MSI Z97-G45 LGA 1150 motherboard, Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB running Windows 10 and a 1TB hard drive.
I'm looking to play Forza Horizon 3, Far Cry Primal, GTA 5, etc.
Thanks for all the feedback guys!