GTX 780 + 680 PhysX PSU wattage question

Vitalogy

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Hello. I ordered a new 780 and decided to just use my now spare 680 as a PhysX card.

My question is if my PSU will be able to handle this. I have a overclocked CPU and the 780 will come overclocked as well. Here are all my specs:

NZXT Hale90 850 watt PSU
Maximus V Formula motherboard
i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz 1.29 v
Corsair H80i cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16 gigs, 4 DIMMS, @ 1600MHz
GTX 780 FTW
GTX 680 (physx card)
3 SSD's SATA III
Blu Ray Drive
4 250mm LED case fans

Will this be cutting it close and will I need to lower my overclocks? I'm assuming using the 680 as a PhysX card won't draw as much power and I've apparently seen people running two 780's with a 850 watt but I want to make sure I am okay here and have wattage to spare (don't want to be close to the limit).

Thank you very much.

Solution
A GTX 680 as a dedicated PhysX card will be drawing less than 100 Watts when it's processing PhysX instructions.

The NZXT Hale90 850W won't have any problem powering your system system configuration with both of those graphics cards.

Vitalogy

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Thank you for the replies. Yes I know it's overkill but as I said it is a spare GPU now =) And better to make use of it than put it to the side.

Plus it would still help in really intensive games like Metro Last Light which use PhysX.

Anywho, that's great it can handle it but do you think I will be cutting it close? I don't want it to be effecting my overclock or getting to the point where I'm skimming by you know?

You are not at all cutting it close. The recommended power supply for a pair of GTX 680s is 750 watts and a pair of 780s is 800 watts on a high powered system like yours.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_sli_review,4.html
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
•GeForce GTX 780 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
•GeForce GTX 780 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
•GeForce GTX 780 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 1000~1200 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

A GTX 680 as a dedicated PhysX card will be drawing less than 100 Watts when it's processing PhysX instructions.

The NZXT Hale90 850W won't have any problem powering your system system configuration with both of those graphics cards.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS