[SOLVED] GTX 780 black screen

Dec 10, 2019
Hello,

I have an AMD Threadripper 1900x system. Today, I hooked up an older PNY GTX 780 video card that I had laying around. Windows 10 boots up to the login screen normally. (i.e. the login screen shows up and looks normal) However, after about 5-10 seconds, the screen goes black. Sometimes I can login, but the same problem occurs after I login. No cursor, no mouse, nothing. The computer makes the sound that it makes when a component is detected. I believe Windows is loading the driver automatically and it causes problems. I didn't see anything useful in the event log. Any ideas?

Thanks
Danny

Solution
Hello,

I have an AMD Threadripper 1900x system. Today, I hooked up an older PNY GTX 780 video card that I had laying around. Windows 10 boots up to the login screen normally. (i.e. the login screen shows up and looks normal) However, after about 5-10 seconds, the screen goes black. Sometimes I can login, but the same problem occurs after I login. No cursor, no mouse, nothing. The computer makes the sound that it makes when a component is detected. I believe Windows is loading the driver automatically and it causes problems. I didn't see anything useful in the event log. Any ideas?

Thanks
Danny
This is a bit of a common issue the GTX 780 has and unfortunately it means the graphics card has a fault. I myself had to RMA a GTX 780...
Hello,

Thanks
Danny
This is a bit of a common issue the GTX 780 has and unfortunately it means the graphics card has a fault. I myself had to RMA a GTX 780 back in 2015 and got a GTX 970 as an RMA replacement.

Solution