GTX 780 card / sli upgrade will not boot properly

tronied

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Ok, I had 2x GTX 280's in my current machine. A year ago I had to upgrade my mobo (sli mobo) + CPU (intel 2600k) + RAM (8gb) because something in it died, but I kept the 280's. Anyway, now I decided to upgrade them to 780's. To do that, I upgraded my PSU from a 900W to a 1050W to cope (at the recommendation of Gigabyte). That was all fine, swapped the PSU and it booted up with the old 280 in place.

Whenever I put in the new GTX 780 though, all I get is a cursor up the top left with a B2 in the bottom right for about 2 minutes. After which time the screen goes blank and then I get a blinking cursor. Because I've had the luxury of buying two of them, I was able to swap them to see if one was faulty but I get the same thing with the other card.

I have plugged in the same 8-pin and 6-pin connectors into the card and the fans are spinning, but I am not sure what else to do. Again, if I take it out and plug in one or both of my old cards it boots fine into windows.

Any ideas?

tronied

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I have the box here... it's an XFX Pro 1050W (Black edition full modular) SLI ready / crossfire ready etc. It also has a sticker on it saying "True Wattage guaranteed!".

redeemer

Distinguished
Update your BIOS, so you are sure that all power 6-8 pins are connected to the GPU?? Sometime the SLI Bridge can be faulty, there is no way you got two bad cards. Your PSU is definitely high quality and more than enough wattage/amperage. Also try running driver cleaner and reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers again 320.18.

Go into your BIOS and check the power rails 3v 5v and 12v make sure

tronied

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Ok, thanks for your suggestions. I'll try all of what you suggested and see how I get on. I'll leave this open for now as I won't be able to test it until tomorrow just in case it isn't those. The power connectors to the card never "clicked" though regardless of how hard I pushed. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again.

tronied

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks Vincent. I found a page hidden away on the MSI forums about this. The reason why their update utility said my BIOS was up to date was that the BIOS firmware which supports the GTX 780 is only recommended to be used on Ivy Bridge CPU's. I forced it anyway and got it working. Took a while but they're working well.