gtx 780 framerate issues

diehard101

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
ok so this all started when i was upgrading from my gtx 650 ti boost to a gtx 770 classified. i had the cx600m psu when i did that and the 770 need two 8-pins but i didnt have two 8-pins so i kinda ghetto rigged it. then i thought the card was defective because the frames and performance were worse than my 650. so i thought the card was not getting enough power so i upgraded my psu too a evga super nova 750g plugged the two 8-pins in and the same thing. but it was giving vrel and vop on gpu-z. so soon enough i went and returned it and got me a 780. the 780 was ok at first but started to do the same thing i am very disappointed. im now thinking that something in my computer is bad. oh and another thing when i put my new psu in the hard drive got fried im not sure how but i had to swap that out and get a new one and fresh install windows. ik that watchdogs is having issues but i cant even play it on low with the card it keeps freezing and when it doesn't its very choppy. its unusual because the driver doesn't crash it just keeps freezing.

here are my components
motherboard: msi z87-gd65 gaming
cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (runs@ about 3.9 tho)
ram: 2x kingston 4gb
HDD:750gb WD
Psu: evga supernova 750g
gpu: evga gtx 780 sc 3gb
case: zalman z11 performance

if anyone could help that would be great! i have a feeling the computer might be bottle necking tho

Solution
first thing to do would be to get hwmonitor and measure cpu temps, at a guess i would say your cpu may be overheating, particularly if it has the stock intel heatsink on it and/or if the heatsink is not mounted properly. Make sure the motherboard bios is updated to the latest. If you have reinstalled winows and it still happens it could be bad ram or bad motherboard. You can try running 1 ram stick at a time to test for ram problems.
first thing to do would be to get hwmonitor and measure cpu temps, at a guess i would say your cpu may be overheating, particularly if it has the stock intel heatsink on it and/or if the heatsink is not mounted properly. Make sure the motherboard bios is updated to the latest. If you have reinstalled winows and it still happens it could be bad ram or bad motherboard. You can try running 1 ram stick at a time to test for ram problems.

Solution

diehard101

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

Ok thanks for the feedback ill try this when i get off work i do have the stock heat sink would you recomend switching it out?

If you put the i5 or i7 3.5ghz cpu's under 100% load with that stock cooler at moderate room temps, they will heat up enough to throttle back the clock speeds, i would recommend changing to another cooler only if that is the case.

diehard101

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

so i updated my motherboards drivers and bios and i started playing watchdogs. i got to play a whole hour with out and problems ran very smooth. im still testing things out tho. thanks for the answer ill be sure to buy a new heatsink next

TRENDING THREADS