Gtx 780 sli vs gtx 970

Solution
A second non gaming monitor will have no impact when gaming on the other.
I did an experiment some time ago with a second cheap graphics card for the side monitor. I could detect no difference while gaming.
Keep it simple and just attach the second to your main card.

Do not run dual cards if you don't have to.
A single card will give you smoother gameplay and avoid stuttering and tearing.
So long as a single card will do the job, that is the way to go.
Only if you are planning on 4k gaming or triple monitor gaming might you exceed the capability of a single GTX980ti.
You will win synthetic benchmarks with sli GTX780.
Gameplay will be better with a single card.
Considering that a GTX780 is still a great card and comparable to a GTX970, why not buy just one(I assume used)?

With two monitors, you will game on the primary monitor.
The side monitor can be used for email performance monitors etc. It adds virtually no load to the graphics card while gaming.

At some point, a FX of any kind is going to fall behind an intel cpu for gaming.

------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You could also experiment with removing one core. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option. set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many cores.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

run5000

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

How do you think gtx 760 2gb sli would run on two monitors with one for gaming and other for web browsing?
Would there be any bottleneck and would it be worth it?
Thanks

A second non gaming monitor will have no impact when gaming on the other.
I did an experiment some time ago with a second cheap graphics card for the side monitor. I could detect no difference while gaming.
Keep it simple and just attach the second to your main card.

Do not run dual cards if you don't have to.
A single card will give you smoother gameplay and avoid stuttering and tearing.
So long as a single card will do the job, that is the way to go.
Only if you are planning on 4k gaming or triple monitor gaming might you exceed the capability of a single GTX980ti.

Solution