GTX 780 Stopped Working, Replacement Failing Too?

Vivere

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
A week or so ago, I turned on my computer that I've used without issue for the past 4 or 5 years and everything seemed to turn on (including the LED on my graphics card) and all the fans were going, but my monitors had a black screen and said "no signal" and I couldn't even see the BIOS screen. I suspected it could have been either my video card (EVGA GTX 780), motherboard (ASUS Maximus VI Hero) or power supply (Corsair RM 650w), but assumed it was probably the video card. I re-seated the video card (and tried the other pci-e slot, too) and re-plugged in power connectors and such, and the problem persisted. So, next I turned off my computer again and took out my graphics card altogether and plugged in one of my monitors to my motherboard's onboard graphics. When I did that, I had no black screen and everything seemed to function properly.

From this, I began operating under the assumption that perhaps it was my video card. However, as I was doing several restarts testing out my video card, my computer developed another habit of sometimes restarting itself once (and only once) right after I powered it on before then booting windows. I haven't tested it enough times to know for sure, but it might only do this if I am trying to use a GPU. Speaking of trying to use a GPU, I contacted my brother who had an old 8800 GTS laying around, and he let me borrow it to test out my computer. When I installed it, I was able to see the BIOS screen and boot into windows with it. However, when uninstalling my old drivers and installing drivers associated with the 8800 GTS and restarting (I went through the whole driver uninstall/reinstall process twice to make sure), after booting into windows I could not adjust my resolution past 1280x1024. Wondering why, I went to Device Manager to find the dreaded yellow exclamation mark, indicating error 43.

So, I took that card back out and am back on onboard graphics at the moment and looking for help on here. Could my power supply be going bad and causing my graphics cards to not get enough power to function properly? Could my motherboard be going bad somehow? Is it my graphics card? Is it a software issue that is screwing up everything?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've tried to include as much info as possible. Let me know if further info is required.

Vivere

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

The driver that isn't working is for the replacement gpu. The driver for my original gpu worked fine for as long as my original gpu was working. The fact that I can't seem to get a driver to work for the other gpu makes me wonder if it isn't something else messing everything up. However, I would like to do as you suggest and test the video card in a different system. The problem is, I cannot do that at this time and am not sure I can do that at all.