Question GTX 780 won't post in an Asus p8p67 motherboard, but posts in an msi b350

Jul 31, 2020
Hi! So I just finished building a new PC and here is my very odd issue. So my GTX 780 won't post in the p67 motherboard, but posts in my amd based b350 system. So the GPU is fine. Now, my Rx 580 when out in the p67 system posts just fine, which means the motherboard, CPU, pcie traces, and psu are all fine. Also, there is fan spin on both the GPU and CPU fans, the chassis fan, I can hear my hdd startup, and the green LED on the motherboard is also lit up. So my question is, how can a gpu that works, and a system that works, not post when put together?

Now I have already tried everything I could think of, clearing the cmos, trying a different pcie slot, trying with just 1 stick of ram, different pcie power cable, booting in legacy and uefi mode, nothing helps. The actual specs of the system are an i7 2600k, 24 GB of RAM, GTX 780 apparently, a 2 tb drive, 700 watt fsp PSU, and an Asus p8p67 motherboard. So if anyone here can offer me any tips or advice, I would most appreciate it, been trying to figure this out for the past 2 days.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I used to run a 780 on the same board, both gpu and mobo is Uefi as you'd be aware. It is an odd issue indeed.

I could only imagine it be something overlooked physically. As in, card and PCIe making complete contact and not elevated by something. Or video ports not entirely inline with rear case openings blocking video cable connection slightly, like if ports are too close to the edges.

Jul 31, 2020
I used to run a 780 on the same board, both gpu and mobo is Uefi as you'd be aware. It is an odd issue indeed.

I could only imagine it be something overlooked physically. As in, card and PCIe making complete contact and not elevated by something. Or video ports not entirely inline with rear case openings blocking video cable connection slightly, like if ports are too close to the edges.
Trust me, it's not a physical issue, the power plugs are plugged in all the way with an audible click, and the GPU is definitely plugged into the pcie slot all the way, with an audible click and it's pushed in all the way.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry im just as complexed as you.

GTX 780 apparently

Seems like you're kind of unsure it is a 780? I don't doubt it is, just grasping at straws. How long have you had it?

Does Gpuz validate it's legitimacy? If it was recently bought, check Gpuz in case it's fake.

gpu-z-2-12-0-can-detect-fake-nvidia-graphics-cards.jpg

Still doesn't explain why it wont work under legacy mode though. If for example another legacy card was used to imitate a 780. Unless CSM in the Bios under secure boot also needs to be disabled when changing it to Legacy.

Jul 31, 2020
Sorry im just as complexed as you.

Seems like you're kind of unsure it is a 780? I don't doubt it is, just grasping at straws. How long have you had it?

Does Gpuz validate it's legitimacy? If it was recently bought, check Gpuz in case it's fake.

gpu-z-2-12-0-can-detect-fake-nvidia-graphics-cards.jpg

Still doesn't explain why it wont work under legacy mode though. If for example another legacy card was used to imitate a 780. Unless CSM in the Bios under secure boot also needs to be disabled when changing it to Legacy.
The issue is that GPU z won't even detect the GPU, but I know it's a 780 because I saw the bare die.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What about on the B350 system? Or are you talking about the B350 system? GPUz should still detect it. Can you install drivers for it at all on this B350 system?

Where did the card come from and how long have you had it?

Jul 31, 2020
What about on the B350 system? Or are you talking about the B350 system? GPUz should still detect it. Can you install drivers for it at all on this B350 system?

Where did the card come from and how long have you had it?
Ya I can install drivers for it on the b350 system and GPU z detects it just fine. I bought the card used and had it for a few days. I put it in my own PC first to verify that it works and it did, but then when I went to put it into the i7 system... Nothing.