[SOLVED] Gtx 780m replacement?

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Hi all!

So, here's probably a stupid inquiry but I'm curious as to if it will even work. I bought a gaming laptop for dirt cheap yesterday, it's an older (2013-2015) Asus ROG laptop with an i7 4700hq, 24gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram, gtx 780m 4gb gpu. I find its more than powerful enough for editing and multitasking, but is slightly lacking in its gaming performance. I've fully cleaned and did a clean install of all drivers which did help a bit, however I cant get a crisp 60fps in most games, and even getting 40-45 plus is a challenge on a game like Apex.

Through researching, I've found most people opt. for an external gpu which is kinda of what I was going to do at first... until I found out that the laptop uses a full size gpu inserted into its own pci-e slot! would it be possible to use a regular desktop gpu, strip it down like the one in the laptop and simply swap it out? I know for sure it would have to be a gpu with no external power requirements, however would something like this be even possible???

Curious as to what you all think or know.

Thanks,
-Z

Solution
No, the GPU is custom shaped. You'll need to find a matching GPU for you laptop model, with a heatsink (from ebay possibly, recovered from a more powerful laptop model). You'll need also to flash=modificate the BIOS or mod the driver in order for the system to recognise new (unsupported) GPU.
No, the GPU is custom shaped. You'll need to find a matching GPU for you laptop model, with a heatsink (from ebay possibly, recovered from a more powerful laptop model). You'll need also to flash=modificate the BIOS or mod the driver in order for the system to recognise new (unsupported) GPU.

Solution