GTX 780ti Overclock

Frogster8

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Hello,

Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3
GTX 780ti Gigabyte (Not windforce version)
i7 2600k (3.4Ghz) @4.00Ghz
8gb 1600Mhz RAM (2x4gb)
Windows 7 64-bit
AX760W PSU

My question is, in my overclocking I reach a point where if I increase my overclock any more it starts to get artifacts and crashes.

However, my temperature isn't above 60 degrees and my voltage is 1.175 and I've got it set to a max of 1.250. I'm using OC Guru and I've set power to 106%, temperature to 95 degrees, my fan running max (it also crashes on auto setting), and then with the max voltage set to 1.200 (default) or 1.250 I can't up my overclock any further and I'm just wondering what I can do about this?

I've only added about 180Mhz on to my core clock when this happens and from what I'm reading online a lot of people have added a lot more than that without issues. Thanks!

Solution
You shouldn't be comparing your 670 overclocks against the 780 TI, the 780 TI @1200 is already faster than 670 SLI setup. Scaling is superior on the 780TI (GK110). The problem here is Nvidia ridiculous "Green Light Program" if your serious about overclocking your 780TI then load up a custom BIOS ie Skynet which allows for better voltage tweaking.

Frogster8

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
I think on the boost clock it gets I'm stable at around 1195Mhz core clock (when it GPU boost). When I've read reviews for the card when it came out the reviewers were stating adding 225Mhz to it whereas I've only added around 180Mhz on mine though? So is the crashing not voltage or temperature related? I mean from what I can see on your profile you've got a 670 running at a higher clock speed than my GTX 780ti, I've still got loads of temperature and voltage headroom that it isn't utilising?

Also, when I run benchmarks on furmark upping the memory clock at all even just 50Mhz yields a lower score at the end so it under-performs the more I clock the memory up. Why is that? Again everywhere I've looked people have knocked this up by 10%-11%.

redeemer

Distinguished
You shouldn't be comparing your 670 overclocks against the 780 TI, the 780 TI @1200 is already faster than 670 SLI setup. Scaling is superior on the 780TI (GK110). The problem here is Nvidia ridiculous "Green Light Program" if your serious about overclocking your 780TI then load up a custom BIOS ie Skynet which allows for better voltage tweaking.

Solution

Frogster8

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
I just googled that green light program, hadn't heard of it before, sounds really annoying and definitely feels like an Apple type move of keeping everything under their own control... I'm definitely serious about overclocking, I feel like my card is capable of a lot more than I'm doing, I'll look into this skynet bios, thanks!

Frogster8

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Sorry to open an old thread up again, I've looked up skynet and its all about over-volting the card... My card is already not hitting anything higher than 1.175 when I give it a max of 1.250, how will over-volting help it? Its max temperature is 67 degrees and max voltage is 1.175 before it starts artifacts and crashing when clocked up by +200Mhz on the core +0Mhz on the memory, how will using a program to let me volt up to 1.300 help? Thanks again!

mr91

Distinguished
Don't quote me on it however with the new bios it will allow you to increase your power limit which will allow you to run higher voltages. Another obstacle is Temp targets if you reach your max temp target your gpu will lower voltage & speed to reduce heat.

What is your Asic score? You can check it if you download GPU Z and righ click on the top and select read ASIC.

Your Asic score will give you an Idea how well card overclocks on air.

The 780 ti is great, I have the Asus reference model.

mr91

Distinguished
I read the green light program by Nvidia, I don't think this will be an issue.

Nvidia is promoting overclocking even more with the launch of the 780 ti. Andrew mentioned that the 780 ti will overclock better than any other nvidia gpu because of load balancing. The only thing is that their 106% power limit & that will only allow aproximately 10 to 20% overclock above max boost because of power. Temp targets may also be a factor if you don't increase the fans and are in a hot room. because if you reach your temp target your gpu could throttle and reduce your voltage.