GTX 800-series. Maxwell. TWICE as fast???

VPMH

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Hey folks
I am at the edge of upgrading rest of my system, including GPU
Problem i am at, is very common dilemma when it comes to purchasing graphic card.
Should i buy now, some nice gtx 770, 780 sc from evga or something similar OR wait for another 3-5 months for GTX 800 series card.
I am not expecting anything special from GTX 800 series, except this new architecture, Maxwell, which provides "more performance pet Watt" which doesn't give me much to work with, just speculations...

What IS very interesting, are these performance readings.
http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-maxwell-performance-numbers-leaked_134195
What i understood, is that 750 Ti actually doesn't have any power-connectors on card, which means that it takes that 75w it needs from PCI slot alone. 660 otherhand has 6-pin connector for 140w power take.
With MY failed attempt of doing some math here.. IF 750 Ti had same power consumption than 660 has, could we expect nearly double the performance of 660?

And could 870/880 cards really be almost twice as fast as their predeccors?

What Maxwell really can push out, that it could be worth the wait?
Does maxwell have some specific new features coming out along with the new cards?

EDIT: I am not a professional, when it comes to graphic cards and specifications. So call this a speculation of "ignorant one" :)

twice as faster? i don't know about that. but high end 800 series most likely not coming out towards the end of this year. depending on how nvidia and amd wants to play it they could drag their 20nm gpu into 2015. in AMD case they just launch their 290X/290 so even if it's possible to launch 20nm gpu in Q3 or Q4 this year they might want to delay their 20nm gpu further so they can make more money on current generation of cards. (that is what they do with 290X/290). right now both company were doing MAXIMUM branding on their cards lol :lol: . either that or make some tweaking to the existing gpu core and release them as a new card :)

VPMH

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

I heard that 20nm wasn't ready to be released until Q3. Altho i hate it when they do this, they could release much more powerful cards out but... they.. just dont.
Bussiness tactics, i assume...

first i see it was amd that employ aggressive move to compete with nvidia. initially i see amd plans is to release new series each year and if possible each new series will be built on new process shrink to keep the pressure on nvidia. i still remember that their 6k series was suppose on TSMC 32nm but they canned the plan when TSMC skip 32nm altogether to bring in 28nm earlier. but in the end they still can't grab more market share from nvidia so they start to slow down the introduction of new series post 7k series.

on TSMC side i think 20nm were already late for a year from initial expectation. from early rumor nvidia should come up with their maxwell around late Q1 or Q2 of this year. i think the reason to introduce maxwell based 700 series on 28nm node was to please their investor that maxwell will live up to their expectation in the performance/watt department

VPMH

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
So, back to my original question i would like to know most:

"What Maxwell really can push out, that it could be worth the wait?
Does maxwell have some specific new features coming out along with the new cards?"

hard to say right now. so far we only know it will have better performance per watt than current kepler architecture. but one thing most people want to see is what nvidia intend to do with denver (not the tegra one). when they first unveil about denver they said maxwell gpu will have some sort of denver cpu in them. i doubt the upcoming maxwell based 750 will have ARM core inside them. maybe they will reserve that one for 20nm based maxwell. or it could be their only top end chip will have that (means only GM110(?) might have them). like GK110 there are some feature only available to GK110 that is not available to GK104 and lower. and from what i understand these feature only benefit GPGPU or HPC stuff. for more thorough details maybe we will have to wait for GTC that will be held in march or april this year