Gtx 840m gameable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebro865

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
So I bought a laptop (HP Pavillion) with a gtx 840m. I was on a tight budget, and when I saw that it had a i5 5th gen cpu and 800 series gpu for only 599 I went against everything I had learned when I built my computer and did no research. Turned out it was a dual core cpu and an 840m. (I knew it was too good to be true, but I guess anything beats my old laptop)

Anyway I am more focusing on the gpu.
I assume anything beats integrated graphics but I would like to know how gameable this chip is.
As in, what settings on 1366x768, can I expect to play on with playable frames? (45+ fps is acceptable, but preferably 50+)
I am not talking about games such as crysis, more like GTA V, TF2, Spore, Robocraft, etc.
I do have witcher 3 if I get around to playing it

Thanks, hopefully I will not succumb to my ADHD next time around. :D

tjcoops

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Sorry mate but I don't think that GPU will cut it for more intensive games unfortunately. I had a look at some benchmarks here http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-840M.105681.0.html. From those results I'm pretty certain any playable framerates at 1366x768 with games like GTA V and Witcher 3 are off the cards however I've seen gameplay footage of the 840M playing TF2 and it looked like more than a playable experience so if you stick to more casual and less demanding games it may be okay for you but unfortunately you wont be getting any playable performance in more intensive and modern games.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Most likely you are going to be disappointed by the performance of that card. I own the 850M and it's a rather large drop to the 840M performance wise, and I can tell you that my card can just barely make 30fps on the newest demanding games at 1366x768 (with an i7-4710HQ helping it along). I consider 30fps to be playable on most games, so I've been fine with my card, but I don't think the 840M will live up to your expectations. I would immediately rule out Witcher 3 and GTA V. Spore would probably be fine as it's quite old now, as is Team Fortress 2, but games like AC Unity, Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 4, and the like wouldn't hit 45fps on that card very easily, if at all.

The poster above me has a notebookcheck link I would definitely check out, there are a bunch of game benchmarks you can view for your card to get a better idea of what to expect from various games at different detail levels.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Well then maybe, but I have my doubts, especially if 45fps is the baseline for playable. the 750m can handle it at medium settings and 1366x768 and it's slightly faster than the 840m, so maybe if you drop to the minimum settings you can get that 45fps mark. I'm also concerned about the CPU though, what model was it exactly?

joebro865

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
The GTA V looked fine for me. Honestly I don't care if it is beautiful or not, I just want to be able to play the game, at a playable framerate.
But yeah those character models were friggen hideous
Towards the end of the video it gets pretty bad. But livable. (Again, beats intel HD graphics, right?

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
If you can deal with the quality of the video, with the setup you have should be able to match it, barring any potential thermal throttling issues (not likely, but possible) . The i5 you have and the i5 listed on the video are similar in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.