Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
Hello, I need some advice. My PC currently has these components:

Intel Core I5-6500
MSI B150M Night Elf
Hyper-X Fury 16 GB DDR-4 Memory
MSI GTX 950 GPU
Corsair 500W PSU

My PC is starting to struggle quite a bit to run games now and I am considering to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 1660 Super. But I don't know if there will be compatibility issues or things like that. I don't want to spend money buying new CPU and motherboard when these ones are working fine. But will the GTX 1660 Super work or not.

Can someone help me with this?

Solution
Psu probably needs to be replaced - not 100% sure on this though. And no, it's not a matter of wattage, but the quality of the internal components.

Ram is dual channel or single? That actually does matter. Single will only make things harder on the cpu.

You need to monitor in game performance to determine what the next best move will be. The more samples you have, the greater the accuracy of the testing. You can use hwinfo.
Monitor:
-gpu and cpu thermals, to make sure there's no thermal throttling occurring
-cpu usage: EACH THREAD, please. Whole cpu usage is not accurate. All it takes is a single thread to be pegged at 90% or higher to be a cpu limitation.
-gpu usage
-ram usage: again, dual channel is preferred.

Oh, don't forget to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Psu probably needs to be replaced - not 100% sure on this though. And no, it's not a matter of wattage, but the quality of the internal components.

Ram is dual channel or single? That actually does matter. Single will only make things harder on the cpu.

You need to monitor in game performance to determine what the next best move will be. The more samples you have, the greater the accuracy of the testing. You can use hwinfo.
Monitor:
-cpu usage: EACH THREAD, please. Whole cpu usage is not accurate. All it takes is a single thread to be pegged at 90% or higher to be a cpu limitation.
-gpu usage

Oh, don't forget to click on the little clock icon in the bottom of hwinfo's monitoring window between tests; it's the reset button.

Solution

X_Abel_San

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020

Monitor:
-gpu usage

Oh, don't forget to click on the little clock icon in the bottom of hwinfo's monitoring window between tests; it's the reset button.

Ok, thank you.
So yes my ram is dual-channel, 4GBx2 to be exact.
When it comes to thermal, both CPU and GPU are at a very comfortable 50 to 60 Degree Celcius.
When is did a CPU Stress test, it did not throttle and sustain a constant 3.2 GHz.
But I'll try to monitor them with hwinfo's

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Right.

I forgot to mention, that the part that holds back performance the most often in your tests is the one that should be replaced first.
Since you've confirmed that thermals are fine and you're running dual channel... the weakest link is going to be between the cpu or gpu.

Reactions: X_Abel_San