GTX 960 2GB good enough for my res?

Steve_238

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Hi there.
Gonna pick up a cheap GTX 960 2GB used soon and was hoping I'd be able to get at least high settings in most games at a res of 1360x768.
Would that be doable or would I need to get the 4GB model?
Or failing that crossfire a couple of R9 280's?
(Not the 280x models).
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Either one should be fine but don't expect 60+FPS in AAA titles with Ultra settings. But for 768p it's fine. Although the 4GB version should give more headroom for better visual settings.

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Either one should be fine but don't expect 60+FPS in AAA titles with Ultra settings. But for 768p it's fine. Although the 4GB version should give more headroom for better visual settings.

Solution

Steve_238

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys :)
I'll go for the 2GB now.
I won't pick either of your replies as a solution because you both helped me make my mind up.
So you are both winners in my eyes
:D

Steve_238

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Just an update...
I got a 2GB 960. IM running Far Cry 5 on high preset and I'm getting over 50fps. On ultra it drops a little but not noticeable. GTA V on very high and over 50fps.
So thanks again guys for the help.
:)

Thats good :) At 1360 x 768 you should really be able to put all the bells and whistles on. Use a combo of HWMon/MSI Afterburner to monitor your Vram usage. You should not be using any more than 1gb for that resolution, for almost any game (considering at 1080p vram usage can be up to 3gb - but that is for demanding games). So if you find your only using 1gb, whack up the in-game settings to take advantage of the goodness :) I'd say your GPU won't be maxed out at that res, so turning on eye candy is the way to go.

Steve_238

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Hi Keith.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah it's all going well. So far.
This might be a stupid question.....
But....
I'm using my PC as a HTPC [by that I mean, I've got my PC in my living room hooked up to me 42" 1360x768 res TV]
Does the size of the TV/monitor affect the strain of the card?
This might be a nooby question. So apologies.
:D
Its still the same res, 1360x768. I was assuming it didn't matter but it got me wondering. Lol. Resolution is resolution despite the size of the output.
Thanks again for the help. :)

yes, you got it right, resolution is resolution, independent of the physical size of the screen. No noob questions here :) all questions are relevant :)

I've often asked doozie's myself! :)