[SOLVED] GTX 960 2gb high idle

Oct 22, 2019
I have a evga gtx 960 ssc just a few days ago it was idling at around 29-34c Now it idles around 40-45c.... I've thought it could be a driver issue so uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled but that didn't do anything. So i thought it could be dirty case so i cleaned my whole pc case piece by piece and that didn't do anything. At the moment the temps are a 51-52c and all i have open is google chrome. My gpu is at 0-1% load with the clock speed at 1277 mhz.... Any suggestions? As i said this just started happening a few hours ago..

What are you running in chrome (generally)? Most modern web browsers will use your video card just like your games will for videos and web-based games (including Youtube). This is further evidenced by your clock speed, 1277 Mhz, which indicate that your video card is handling some load (base clock on those is in the 1177 MHz range).

Oct 22, 2019
  1. Use "EVGA PrecisionX" to set the fan speed. Also check the fan works or not.
  2. Maybe time to reapply the thermal paste.
Change settings to optimal if have set high performance in nvidia control panel.
What are you running in chrome (generally)? Most modern web browsers will use your video card just like your games will for videos and web-based games (including Youtube). This is further evidenced by your clock speed, 1277 Mhz, which indicate that your video card is handling some load (base clock on those is in the 1177 MHz range).

@CIN thanks for this seems more simplar than afterburner, and eys they work. After 12 hours+ I figured out the issues. In the process fired my ram some how? It's extremely old but the chain of events today for me is why i think this... sigh...

@JackFive Yeah explains a lot... Can't believe i overlooked this and this all started after i did that... Forgot i did this so i thought there was an issue but there wasn't just high performance settings...

@ketchup Nah i have a feeling it was all due to the settings i did and forgot about because after i basically put everything back to default installed the new driver that came out today for the 960 it's back to normal.