Question GTX 960 2GB paired with a ryzen 5 3600

Oct 15, 2019
I am thinking of upgrading my i5 4460 to a ryzen 5 3600 because I think it is time for an upgrade.I am a CS:GO player and a lot of people say that cs needs a good cpu rather than a good gpu.

I also play GTA 5 which I've been told needs a good cpu.My question is when I upgrade it and my pc bottlenecks is my framerate going to be worse than it was before the new processor?I am definitely going to upgrade my gpu bot not now since I dont have enough saved up money.

You'll be fine, if anything your GPU will be the bottle-neck but not in that performance is diminished but rather your cpu has much more power to give but your GPU doesn't have the horsepower to give it anymore than it is giving.

It's a weak card in today's standards, especially for GTA V, but you'll be fine in CS;GO.

Oct 15, 2019
You'll be fine, if anything your GPU will be the bottle-neck but not in that performance is diminished but rather your cpu has much more power to give but your GPU doesn't have the horsepower to give it anymore than it is giving.

It's a weak card in today's standards, especially for GTA V, but you'll be fine in CS;GO.
Yeah but I mean the performance won't decrease because of the bottlenecking right?

Oct 15, 2019
Not in your case no. the GPU will be strained to the max but the 3600 will have plenty of headroom to spare. I had a 4460 and on GTA it was quite heavily pushed near max. You'll hover around the 60's on max settings for GTA. On CS;GO you'll stay above 200 no doubt.
I gave up the idea of upgrading my current pc. I will just buy parts in the summer and I will build the pc by myself. Hope I don't ruin the parts but atleast I've got to try.

I gave up the idea of upgrading my current pc. I will just buy parts in the summer and I will build the pc by myself. Hope I don't ruin the parts but atleast I've got to try.

That's for the best. The 3600 is still a good choice to go for a budget gaming rig but if you want 60FPS in GTA V then a 1660 Super or RX 570 are your two best price-performance for 1080p gaming. CSGO will be fine with a potato GPU, just as long as the CPU is good. I recommend at least buying the CPU now since AMD is having a sale for all their 3000 series chips only for the month of march from what I hear.

Oct 15, 2019
That's for the best. The 3600 is still a good choice to go for a budget gaming rig but if you want 60FPS in GTA V then a 1660 Super or RX 570 are your two best price-performance for 1080p gaming. CSGO will be fine with a potato GPU, just as long as the CPU is good. I recommend at least buying the CPU now since AMD is having a sale for all their 3000 series chips only for the month of march from what I hear.
I have already decided what parts I'll use. I'l pair the r5 3600 with an rtx 2070 super, but if I manage to get some extra money I'll go for the r7 3700x.

Reactions: Newtonius