cediegamotin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
Hi! I have this card and factory OC'ed, I tried overclocking it using MSI Afterburner but gpu shark says "Voltage limit reached".
My question is can I overclock it furthermore? more than the factory OC? or there's nothing I can do since it's factory OC'ed.
Thanks!

Reactions: cedie_asd

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are ways around that, but that is something you should only really do if you can afford to replace the card.

The BIOS can be modified, or you can hardware bypass the shunts and resistor dividers on the card so that it mis-reads power and voltage limits. Generally only done with higher end cards (usually reference as well), so there probably won't be guides or anything for that card.

What were your results? Without water cooling or exotic cooling there are always practical limits to overclocking. You might already be there.

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
Generally if you already having max/locked voltages on the gpu, and if core clock doesn't want to go higher due to that fact, then Generally you still can push the memory clock pretty far. ;) , But again, generally highest boost comes from the core clock & not memory, exceptions is a very limited number of GPUs.

cediegamotin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
There are ways around that, but that is something you should only really do if you can afford to replace the card.

The BIOS can be modified, or you can hardware bypass the shunts and resistor dividers on the card so that it mis-reads power and voltage limits. Generally only done with higher end cards (usually reference as well), so there probably won't be guides or anything for that card.

What were your results? Without water cooling or exotic cooling there are always practical limits to overclocking. You might already be there.
after research I found out that the only way is through hardware modifications, which is risky, so I won't push it anymore

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
after research I found out that the only way is through hardware modifications, which is risky, so I won't push it anymore
yes you can modify the bios of the card just as the Eximo said, and it's not risky at all if you done no errors, i once modified the gtx 970 bios for a friend because his gtx 970 didn't wanted to boot anymore or booted but only for a few seconds, i must say, the maxwell bios editor is very confusing for first timer, took me a decent 40-60 minutes just to look at it and verify that my understanding of it is correct till i proceeded with the edits, i edited it successfully but the card unfortunately was beyond help still.(chip was about to fell out, if that's how it's called in english) , with that said, i do not recommend you to do it, mainly because you had no experience of flashing before and because maxwell bios editor is confusing for the ones which seeing it for the first time. :)

have a nice day!

Reactions: cediegamotin