GTX 960 4gb Zotac Amp! or Evga SSC ACX 2+

Gazer213

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hey people! I'm in a low budget build. (In my country all is expensive and the new and old things that should be cheap are also expensive). Two weeks ago my choice was the almighty R9 280x Vapor-X, but isn't sold anymore, and the new 300 line is ultra expensive. I don't really mind heat or noise.

I'm thinking for the GPU a GTX 960 4gb, i dont know which, if the Zotac Amp! Edition or the EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+. The two are the same price here. Or maybe an XFX AMD r7970.

My actual build is:
Amd FX 8370
MSI 970a SLI Krait Edition
Sentey ERP 650W with a 42 amp rail
WD Caviar Blue 1tb
Corsair Carbide 100r

Solution
I see. If you are just looking to have one for taht short of the time period, I would pick the cheaper one and when a newer architecture comes out that will last you 5+ yrs or so, I would save up for that.

From your pricing list there, that would be the 7970. I can confirm that it is a solid card and you wont be disappointed.

Both should retain significant resale value when you do plan on getting another card.

Hope this helps,
Cam

Gazer213

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
So, for something like GTA 5, BF Hardline, the next Dark Souls 3 (if they realease it for pc) and games like that is better the 7970 over one of the gtx 960 4gb? Also DirectX 12.

So The 7970 I have is actually in my wifes computer and pumping along fine. She plays GTAV and Hardline. (Also BF4 alot) She rarely complains.

Full disclosure: I have not messed with a 960 but have read good reviews about it. And for future technologies; DX12 is a must.

What kind of pricing are you looking at? And are you considering keeping this card for a long period of time, or is this an interim solution until you get a massive card that will last you 5+ years? These questions will help determine which road to go down. :)

Cheers.

Gazer213

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I want to keep keep it for 8 to 14 months. the evga ssc acx looks sweet for OC. In prices, in my country, the gtx 960 4gb is in $560 american dollars (i'm not joking) and the 970 in $765. As you see, the actual tech prices here are a joke and a mess. The 280x which isn't sold anymore here was like $510. And the 7970 is $546. The 960 leaves room to me for overclock, the 7970 is a bit to the limit of the psu, but has a some higher specs.

I see. If you are just looking to have one for taht short of the time period, I would pick the cheaper one and when a newer architecture comes out that will last you 5+ yrs or so, I would save up for that.

From your pricing list there, that would be the 7970. I can confirm that it is a solid card and you wont be disappointed.

Both should retain significant resale value when you do plan on getting another card.

Hope this helps,
Cam

Solution