GTX 960 PC Monitor cutting off during gaming

ibrowny

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
Over the past two months I have had the same issue with my computer and I've tried to fix it, but nothing I am doing is working at all.

Whenever I am gaming after usually 15/20 minutes (often random times) my Monitor will just cut off saying that there is no signal. My computer stays on, but after 5 or so minutes it will restart itself, however the monitor won't come back on. I have to force restart it for the computer to come back on. If I am simply browsing the web or watching videos the monitor doesn't switch off, only when I'm gaming.

I have changed the CPU, RAM, Power Supply and Monitor to see if that's the issue and it's not. All my temperatures are fine, besides my CPU but that's because it's AMD.

I have tried stress testing the GPU and CPU, as well as them both at the same time and it's never cut off. Only during games, and I have no idea why.

My build is listed below:

Operating System
Windows 10 Education 64-bit

CPU
AMD A8-7650K Kaveri 28nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-HD2 (P0)

Graphics
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (MSI) CrossFire Disabled ForceWare version: 382.53 SLI Disabled

Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB ATA Device

Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated, it's been going on for too long and I have no idea how to fix it.
Thankyou

Solution

ibrowny

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
I have seen this issue all over the internet, but no actual solutions. Just people not replying to threads after a while, I do genuinely need this fixed.

Fishlol69

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
If it cuts off and says there's no signal, then it's a monitor problem.

First, try gaming in borderless or windowed mode. See if that helps.
If not, here's some other things you could try.

Try using a different HDMI/DP cable for your monitor.
Try unplugging and restarting the monitor when the problem happens.
Is your HDMI/DP cable plugged into the graphics card, or the motherboard? Try both.
Try lowering the graphics, or the resolution.

ibrowny

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

I have changed monitor, twice. Even in games if my monitor goes off everything is unresponsive, so say for example I wanted to jump on my keyboard, it wouldn't - the computer genuinely is unresponsive. I play in borderless too, still cuts out.

I have tried a different HDMI.
Lowered graphics too, still goes off.

Fishlol69

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Hmm. Then it must be the computer.
In this case, the monitor is not cutting off at all. Your computer is freezing.

Look up "computer freezing while gaming" on google. There are at least two threads which solve the problem. Try those solutions out.

ibrowny

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

It's definitely the PC, not the monitor. But I searched that freezing thing and it's not the same, it's completely different. It doesn't freeze, it just goes off.

Fishlol69

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Solution