[SOLVED] GTX 960 SLI or New GPU?

Ringiku

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
I have a GIgabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 (GV-N960G1) and I want to boost the performance of my rig but I am on the fence between getting second 960 (same that I have) and using SLI/Cross-Fire or getting a newer model GPU and looking for help. I am on a $300 budget for this upgrade.

Specs:
Asus Prime X370-Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming 4GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED w/ Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound
Corsair Vengence RGB Pro DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
EVGA 600W PSU
Window 10 Pro

Solution
You can SLI, but it's not worth the hassle these days. You would be much better off buying a SINGLE powerful GPU instead. Not many games scale well on an SLI/CFX setup. I won't recommend. You need to decide. If GAMING is your only top priority, then, then investing in an SLI setup is not worth it.

If Gaming is not you main goal, then you can consider going for such a setup. Apart from that, your would be using 2 GPUs at a time, so more power consumption and heat as well, regardless of your PSU.

The power draw for an SLI setup is also going to be more. SLI is kind of dead. Implementing SLI/CRFX requires a lot of coding, as well as resources/time. The game developers need to make sure that the game's engine is going to scale well.
You can SLI, but it's not worth the hassle these days. You would be much better off buying a SINGLE powerful GPU instead. Not many games scale well on an SLI/CFX setup. I won't recommend. You need to decide. If GAMING is your only top priority, then, then investing in an SLI setup is not worth it.

If Gaming is not you main goal, then you can consider going for such a setup. Apart from that, your would be using 2 GPUs at a time, so more power consumption and heat as well, regardless of your PSU.

The power draw for an SLI setup is also going to be more. SLI is kind of dead. Implementing SLI/CRFX requires a lot of coding, as well as resources/time. The game developers need to make sure that the game's engine is going to scale well.

Reactions: Ringiku
Solution