GTX 960 to play Black ops 3 at 8 gb ram?

8 gig of RAM is plenty for a gaming computer .
You can see this for yourself by running a game in a window and opening task manager which will show you exactly how much RAM is used by each process .
What might be important though is the RAM on the graphics card . Higher resolutions perform better with more
This is the only 4 gig GTX 960 listed on pcpartpicker for under $200
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn960wf2oc4gd

The best priced quality brand R9 380 is a little cheaper
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100384nt4goc2l

The R9 380 needs a 550 watt psu to drive it , the GTX 960 only needs 430 watts

Apr 4, 2015

I have a 550W power supply exactly so it may not be enough as it's the bare minimum just to be on the safe side. Probably I will go with a GTX 960 4gb but do you think I'd also be able to play games like the new Batman or Fallout4 if I ever wanted to? Perhaps the new Star Wars or something lol.

Apr 4, 2015

Probably I will go with a GTX 960 4gb but do you think I'd also be able to play games like the new Batman or Fallout4 if I ever wanted to? Perhaps the new Star Wars or something lol.

You can always play the games . You can play any game on a GTX 960 at 1080p . Its just a matter of turning down AA , AF and then if you have to lowering the image settings .
For me I dont insist on 60 fps . Maybe its me but I can barely tell the difference between 45 and 60 anyway . What you do notice is frame rate drops to below 30 fps so you set the machine up to avoid that .

If your 550 watt psu is a decent quality unit and bronze rated [ or better ] then the R9 380 can still be considered

Apr 4, 2015

It is a 550W Gold Rated Corsair Power Supply lol.

yes you can. although PC port of AK is quite a mess. i think dev and publisher already throwing the towel to actually give the game proper fix for the PC version. even with the promised fix the game still have performance issue. now they excepting refund for those that already buy the game until the end of this year.

as for fallout 4 that is another game that nvidia card have the advantage. but it seems AMD still does not have their driver ready for it. starwars battlefront seems to work better on AMD. i think it was one of AMD sponsored title.

if the frame rate is consistently hanging around mid 40 or in the 60s then it should be fine. but when the frame rate jumping from 60 to 40 i can see it. heck even going from 60 down to 55 i can see the smoothness being affected. but as long as the framerate is consistent even 30FPS is fine to me. but when the frame rates start dipping below 25 then the game will start to see like a slow motion.