GTX 960M not used

Jun 14, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am the owner of an Acer Aspire v15 Nitro (VN7-591G) equipped with a GTX960M dedicated GPU.
After years of good service lately I've started encountering troubles with the mentioned hardware.

Right now I find myself in a situation where the GTX is recognized by the computer but it's never used by the system. I've carefully set the nvidia control panel giving priority to the dedicated GPU over a list of games and software but when executing the integrated GPU is still being used.. I updated GeForce Experience and the card' drivers but nothing seems to work. I even tried to downgrade to a few months old drivers (beck when the card was working) but still no changes.

The nvidia control panel is set and the little icon in the taskbar always shows no activity on the GTX.
If I try to execute something with the graphic card by right clicking and selecting nvidia GPU it says that I don't have the privileges to do it. (Even tho the GTX is set by default via nvidia control panel)
In some games where is possible to select the gpu to be used it shows only the integrated one.

Right now I have my display broken and I'm using an external monitor with an hdmi cable, not sure if it might be connected.

Any idea?

Thanks !

Solution
Jun 28, 2018

It looks like you have my same problem. Different laptops but same problem. Your screen is also broken and you are using an external monitor, just like me.
I posted my issue here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3733822/problem-nvidia-gtx-960m-detected-properly-working.html
If you don't mind, I'm sharing this here. If you can, read it and tell me if you are in my same identical situation.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS