GTX 960m Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cytus

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
So I bought this notebook in October, everything was going fine except the common issues of ASUS fans spun up under no workload, and I fixed that modifying the bios. Everything's been good and I even overclocked it with no issues, but then 4 days ago while I'm playing a light game that I usually ran at max settings that didn't stress the card 2 much, started jumping it up from 115-130 to 160-180. I have tried resetting the BIOS, a clean driver install, and opening up the notebook clearing the dust out. I am at a loss on why this suddenly happened because now it gets hot to the touch underneath.
my laptop is an ASUS K501UW GTX960m 2GB i7-6500U 16GB DDR4 RAM

Solution
Have you tried running monitoring software to see what temps you are getting? If not, I would. Reason being, if the laptop is clear of dust and the vents are free and clear, you may have a fan that is going. Which happens. However since that is a very new laptop, it shouldn't go that quickly.

If that is the case, or even if the temps are just high but you are unsure about the fan(s), I would be contacting the manufacturer about a repair or replacement.
Have you tried running monitoring software to see what temps you are getting? If not, I would. Reason being, if the laptop is clear of dust and the vents are free and clear, you may have a fan that is going. Which happens. However since that is a very new laptop, it shouldn't go that quickly.

If that is the case, or even if the temps are just high but you are unsure about the fan(s), I would be contacting the manufacturer about a repair or replacement.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.