[SOLVED] GTX 970 and Phenom II X6 1075T?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
How much bottleneck would there be pairing an Evga GTX 970 FTW+ with an OC Phenom II x6 1075T @ 3.5GHz?
(Strictly 1080p gaming, and usually single player gaming.)

Solution
Interesting. Can you elaborate on that? What is the better CPU doing that makes frame rates faster if the GPU is already maxed out with the weaker CPU?
Because both the CPU and GPU affect the FPS output.

If the GPU is running at 100%, and you get 50FPS.
Putting in a better CPU...the GPU is still running at 100%, but the better CPU is letting more FPS to the screen.

Devin latulippe

Prominent
Dec 4, 2019
Yes, the Phenom II x6 1075T is almost a ten year old cpu while the gtx 970 is around 5-6 years old, youre looking at around a 30% cpu bottleneck or so, with lower fps and alot of stuttering, if you are looking for a good cheap cpu try an i7 2600k or an i5 2500k or 2400, or a ryzen 3 1200, or 2200g, or a ryzen 5 1600. Those cpus will be cheap and have a much better expirience

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Then I guess I need an explanation of what bottleneck is.
I borrowed this card temporarily to see if I want to buy it for this old Phenom II X6 build. I just ran The "Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" built-in benchmark (preset: high) along with MSI Afterburner running in the background. The GTX 970 shows a continual 91-98% GPU usage while the 6 x CPU cores sit at 35-58% usage (all cores about equal). Doesn't that show the CPU isn't bottle-necking the GPU?

Btw, I forgot to write down what the fps ended up being, but the benchmark looked smooth.

USAFRet

Titan
"How much bottleneck "
You can't put a number on it, other than "some"

The much misunderstood and misused term "bottleneck" simply means one component is maxing out while other parts are simply loafing along.
That one weak sister is not allowing the other part(s) to achieve their full performance.

Like putting racing tires on an old Honda Civic.
The old car is "bottlenecking" the performance of the tires. On a better car, those same tires would allow much better cornering. The rest of the Honda simply can't keep up.

The crappy car doesn't make the good tires go slower, just that they can't achieve their full potential.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
The much misunderstood and misused term "bottleneck" simply means one component is maxing out while other parts are simply loafing along.
That one weak sister is not allowing the other part(s) to achieve their full performance.
Thank you for the reply. OK, So... if I read your statement right, since my GPU was almost always maxed (91-98% ) out, and the CPU was 'loafing along' (35-58% ), does that mean the GPU is not being bottle-necked by the CPU in that one benchmark?

How much bottleneck would there be pairing an Evga GTX 970 FTW+ with an OC Phenom II x6 1075T @ 3.5GHz?
(Strictly 1080p gaming, and usually single player gaming.)
Are you getting a great deal the GTX 970 I had same set up but with a Phenom II x6 1045T 16gb

I never in game had and issues and quite likes gaming on that system. The only reason it was sold was on the horizon was the SSE 4.2 starting to show up in games.

The only thing I did notice moving the GTX 970 over to an i7 3770 really opened up the card.

IDK also loading screens in games were also faster with the i7 vs Phenom II x6 1045T But playing in game no issues buttery smooth.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Are you getting a great deal the GTX 970 I had same set up but with a Phenom II x6 1045T 16gb

I never in game had and issues and quite likes gaming on that system. The only reason it was sold was on the horizon was the SSE 4.2 starting to show up in games.

The only thing I did notice moving the GTX 970 over to an i7 3770 really opened up the card.

IDK also loading screens in games were also faster with the i7 vs Phenom II x6 1045T But playing in game no issues buttery smooth.
Yeah, I get that. But bottle-neck has always confused me. This card can open up and run at near 100% usage with this old CPU, yet it performs better on a better CPU. Hence, my confusion about bottleneck.

USAFRet

Titan
Interesting. Can you elaborate on that? What is the better CPU doing that makes frame rates faster if the GPU is already maxed out with the weaker CPU?
Because both the CPU and GPU affect the FPS output.

If the GPU is running at 100%, and you get 50FPS.
Putting in a better CPU...the GPU is still running at 100%, but the better CPU is letting more FPS to the screen.

Solution