GTX 970 causing asus anti surge for psu

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Good Day!
Got a new msi gtx 970 4g gaming, everything works fine until i load battlefield 4, as soon as i join a game a minute later the computer will crash and restarts with a message, ASUS ANTI SURGE DETECTED A BAD OR FAULTY POWER UNIT or something like that, i disassemble psu Enermax 720 watt bronze, upon inspection i saw 3x capacitors 3300uf 16v bulged and some juice was dried in top of it,

Does anyone has any idea if this would be causing the anti surge due to lack of efficiency or voltage drop or something due to bulged dried capacitors? or the gtx 970 need constant voltage which the psu failed to provide during game load.

The computer wont crash and wont reboot if i dont play games,

Thanks in advance.

Solution

If you know what you're doing you can definitely recap the PSU with higher quality capacitors.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Thanks for your reply, what if i replace the capacitors with new one the same value? would it not solve the problem?

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Thanks for your reply, what if i replace the capacitors with new one the same value? would it not solve the problem?

If the capacitors are unable to function properly, like your bad caps, then the PSU will be putting out an excessive level of electrical noise and ripple that will cause damage to attached components and cause unexplained system instability. The ripple and noise will increase as the power draw increases just like it does when you start up a game.

If you know what you're doing you can definitely recap the PSU with higher quality capacitors.

Solution

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Hi, Thanks for replay. Yes i can do it, i have already soldered out the caps, 3x are bad but i took all 6x of them out, tomorrow will buy new ones from electronic store, 3x 3300uf 16v and 3x 3300 10v,,

CAN I PUT ALL 6 OF THEM 3300UF 16V..?

Yes. You can definitely replace a capacitor that is rated for 10 Volts with one of the same capacitance value but with a higher voltage rating. Going with a lower voltage rating than the original is never recommended.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Hi. Just wanted to know if increase in capacitance would make any effect on efficiency, yes few volts up wouldn't make any problem,

I still remember making 12v dc for my audio system and uses higher uF for efficient 12v power supply so my audio system wont crack the sound, thought it would do the same here,

Increasing the capacitance value won't result in an increase in efficiency. It will just lower the noise and ripple to a level lower than than what the PSU originally had when new.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Wel. I have seen alot of cheap psu which can not even keep up. I am using this psu Enermax infiniti 720watt 80+ bronze for last 6 years. Its the 1st time it gave problem and that is due to bad caps which is normal i think over the course of 6 years. And just 6x caps and thats all.

Will post the results after recap.. if it gave problem after recaping then probably a new psu is needed. But i think it will be ok.

The capaciters i see at 19v rails are 16v and at 12v rails are 10v Which i am going to increase voltage.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I have replaced 3x 3300uf 16v with 3300uf 24v as i couldnt find 16v. The pc is now running stable no crash no reboots. Played bf4 and bf1 ultra 150 resolution scale just to stress and no glitch everything works fine.

One thing happened after this that the psu fan sometimes run sometimes wont and then i get beeps with red led on psu. Pressing a button on psu will stop beeping and pc works but fan wont come on. Dont know what happened.

Did you use 105°C or higher rated capacitors?

Using 85°C rated capacitors will shorten the operating life (i.e. the capacitors will fail in a shorter period of time). If you look at the temperature rating of all of the output filtering capacitors on that PSU they are 105°C rated.

From what I've read about the Enermax Infiniti 720W, there is a thermal diode located near one of the heatsinks that would be used to control the fan speed and over temperature protection circuit. Make sure that you haven't moved the diode out of place. Have you taken the fan out and tested it separately to make sure that the bearings aren't binding?

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Yes i checked the fan. I tried another fan. With 12v from an adapter works the fan. But when i put it in psu then upon pressing power button the pc starts the psu fan just move for a split second and then beeps with red led on the back of psu. Then i have to press the reset button on psu so the beeping would stop but the fan wont work.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

well its not about if someone will make me buy new or i am playing with fire, this is why we are here, if i need to buy new one i would do that without advertising here, its about why something would do something like that,

the crash and reboot problem fixed so this one will too, if not no problem just dont make such a comment.