GTX 970 causing asus anti surge for psu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Good Day!
Got a new msi gtx 970 4g gaming, everything works fine until i load battlefield 4, as soon as i join a game a minute later the computer will crash and restarts with a message, ASUS ANTI SURGE DETECTED A BAD OR FAULTY POWER UNIT or something like that, i disassemble psu Enermax 720 watt bronze, upon inspection i saw 3x capacitors 3300uf 16v bulged and some juice was dried in top of it,

Does anyone has any idea if this would be causing the anti surge due to lack of efficiency or voltage drop or something due to bulged dried capacitors? or the gtx 970 need constant voltage which the psu failed to provide during game load.

The computer wont crash and wont reboot if i dont play games,

Thanks in advance.

Solution

If you know what you're doing you can definitely recap the PSU with higher quality capacitors.

The original Globe RL4T B1352512MB-3M fan is a 3-wire fan and cannot be replaced with a 2-wire fan. The third wire (usually white or yellow jacketed wire) is the tach signal that the PSU uses to determine if the fan is spinning. The PSU's blinking red LED and short beeps tells you that it is a fan problem.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Thats true. I tried another 3 wire fan. Same issue moves for a second then stops and red blinks. Now the real question..? Is this a fan problem or something on the psu mainboard in fan or thermal cicuit..?

Were the blinking red LED and short beeps happening before you dismantled the PSU to replace the caps?

If I were you I would have replaced all of the output capacitors with better quality ones. The obviously failed capacitors are a good indication of what is happening to the other remaining output capacitors. You can still have a failed capacitor that doesn't have an externally obvious indicator of failure. If you have access to an oscilloscope it would make troubleshooting much easier.

Have you measured the voltage on the fan header for the PSU's cooling fan?

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Today i am going to replace the rest of capacitor.. and try to find some good quality ones.

I have no acces to osciloscope. Going to try new fan and test voltage on fan header and also test some smd parts with multimeter in proximity of the fan header.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I just resoldered old caps just to ensure if the fan problem would solve. But that didnt helped. Does every 3 wire fan would works or just need its own fan..?

I checked on fan header. There is 12.45 volts and on yellow tach wire is 4.23 volts. When i power on the psu then the voltage on fan header stays solid but the fan wont run with red blinks and beeps..

There is 2 wire plug coming out of psu rpm detector. I cant recall if i had connect somewhere on mainboard or not. Does it had something to do with it. I find no place for this plug on my asus maximus ranger vii z97.

What matters most is the fan's airflow and startup voltage. You shouldn't be using a replacement fan with a lower airflow than the original (i.e. 95.8 CFM @ 1800 RPM) because that will result in insufficient cooling of the PSU leading to accelerated degradation of the capacitors. That PSU already runs hot even with the original fan. The fan's startup voltage needs to be 6 Volts or lower.

Is that a constant 12.45 Volts at the PSU's fan header as soon as the PSU is turned on? Does the blinking red LED and beeps cause the fan voltage to drop or turn off?

The black and white 2-wire external PSU fan speed sensor signal is for connection to a motherboard fan header's speed sensor pins. This external PSU fan sensor signal may/may not even work.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Thanks for feedback, my mainboard has no connection for rpm detector from psu so i think its not needed,
the voltage stays at 12.35 volts even when the blinks and beeps happening,

BUT.. what i dont understand,, if i plug the fan to 12v external source then it would run in my hands but when i connect it to psu 12v fan header its not starting while the same time it shows 12v on multimeter, even i test a 2 wire 12v fan on red black wire from fan header on psu and it wont run the 2 wire fan on its 12v,,

I don't have the schematic for that PSU so I don't know what or how Enermax is controlling the cooling fan. It could even be insufficient output current to the fan header.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I just soldered fan wires red black to 12v on psu board where the 12v is going out. And the yellow wire to fan header.

Now as soon as i switch the pc on the fan is running and working as intended.

THE BEEPS.. i just took out that small beeper thing out. The red light is blinking now only no beeps. But pc is fully working and stable.