GTX 970 Driver Issue - Need Urgent Help!!!

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hello, I really need some help here guys, kinda in an an emergency!
Essentially, my GTX 970 just arrived, and I've been saving for months for it and today is finally the day. I installed it, everything was going fine, the light came on, and it fitted very nicely.

When I turn my computer on, it discovered the new graphics card, but since no drivers were installed, it's basically useless. I couldn't play any games, and GPU-Z didn't even recognise it as a GTX 970, is simply called it a 'Standard VGA Adapter'. So I installed the latest NVidia driver '344.16' from the NVidia website. When I rebooted my computer, the trouble started.

My computer is now useless; when I turn it on, it loads the boot logo, and does the little windows animation...then the screen dies. Literally every time I try, the screen dies. I've tried different screens, both HDMI and DVI - nothing works. I've tried setting priority for PCI slots, disabling onboard graphics, everything I can in the bios (yes, it is the latest version).

So I did a system restore to yesterday, and tried again - no change, same problem. I tried again with the slightly older driver, to see if it was a new bug. Same issue. Essentially, when I have no drivers, I can boot into windows but do nothing there to do with my new graphics card, but with the drivers, windows fails to load. I have tried resetting default bios settings, everything.

I really really need help I'm pulling my hair out over this, I think I'm going to die. Please help me!

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

I've used a clean install both times. And the 344.16 is the newest one, I looked on the nvidia website to check for the newest one, and this is, specifically for the GTX 970 and 980. I've done clean installs each time.

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

How did you uninstall the drivers?

Can you list your full system specs?

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

- i7 3770k @4.2Ghz
- Asus GTX 970 Strix
- 8Gb RAM
- P8Z77-V MoBo
- H60 liquid cooler
- 1Tb HDD @7200RPM
- 120Gb SSD
- 800W Corsair PSU
- CiT Midi Gaming Case (Blue LEDS)
- 5 fans
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I don't currently have an optical drive (embarrassing, I know) so I have to install them from the internet.
My power supply is 800 watts, which is 300 more than requires. I have the Asus Strix model, a there is only 1, 8-pin power cable requires, which is plugged in, shown by the light.

I haven't had a optical drive in my computer for over 5 years. I have on laying round just in case, pull off the side panel of the computer plug it in do what I need with it and then unplug it.

Try downloading the 344.11 drivers and give those a try. for the 344.11 drivers you have to search for a 700 series card but they do support the 900 series card. or see if Asus has drivers on their webpage for your card.

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Maybe try DDU. Follow the instructions on the download page.

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
This is the first GPU I have installed, there are no other drivers. And yes, I have found the driver exe file and run it, but when I do it stops half way through and says 'cannot start the proccess', then finishes showing that only half the components actually installed. However, the ones that didn't install aren't mandatory for the card to rj, the actual graphics drivers installed successfully. And I will try that DDU thing you said. Thanks.

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hey guys, thank you all for your responses and sorry for the delayed response. I figured out the problem and got it working, and instantly became addicted to Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor for like, a week. Doing so made me forget I had sought help from you guys, again, I apologise.

For those interested, it was a driver issue; for some reason, the Intel HD 4000 drivers were conflicting with the Nvidia 344.16 driver, causing it to fail. In fact, even after uninstalling them it didn't work, as there was another convoluted process required to totally remove them. Eventually, I managed to uninstall every single trace of Intel Graphics Drivers (with the help from 3rd party software) and then reinstall the Nvidia ones (which I have now updated to 344.48). The card runs beautifully, and I am glad I spent my last £300 on one. A really great investment!

mzgu

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

I have the same GTX970 card and not booting up. Can you provide step-by-step instruction of what you did to remove the Intel Graphics Drivers? What configuration did you have to use for your BIOS (secureboot etc...) or does it not matter?

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Ok, I did 3 things. Firstly, I went to the add/remove programs section in the control panel, and removed anything that was labelled intel. I then went to the device manager, found graphics adapters and uninstalled all drivers. I then downloaded some third-party software (I've deleted it now, I can't remember the name, sorry.) and used that to clean up anything else that had anything to do with Intel HD Drivers. After a reboot, it seemed to work!