GTX 970 fit for Dell Precision T3600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzacks524

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm for any specific model of GTX 970 that will fit inside a Dell Precision T3600 case.

The case has a handle that juts out and makes it so that the card has be short AND have the power connectors placed just right.

Does anyone out there have one in their T3600? Thanks very much!

Solution
@jzacks I knew precisely what you were referring to when you said "handle" because I owned the successor to your T3600 (T3610); T5810. I had a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G GPU. I did not find a solution and had to keep the side panel off. I had "heard" there is a way to remove that handle but I never figured it out. I recommend that you contact Dell and ask them if the handle can be removed from the panel. If not then your choice is to leave the panel off or downgrade GPU. Personally I'd just keep the side panel off.

Perhaps Dell sells a optional panel without the interior handle? It's worth at least asking them.

jzacks524

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hello, thanks very much for the reply, that card you mentioned is actually too tall, I know I have about 4.5 inches of height to work with. I also have plenty of space for any card lengthwise.

It's more about the specific placement of the power connectors on the top of GTX 970 cards and the fact that there's a silly handle inside the case that will block them unless they are on the very rear of the card (or rear-facing).

Unfortunately that's why this is a hard question and I probably need someone who actually has a GTX 970 inside their T3600 to know for sure.

-Jon

quotemsg=17387075,0,59887]You really are not going to get much shorter than this. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($324.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $324.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 19:19 EST-0500[/quotemsg]

logainofhades

Titan
Not sure what handle you are talking about, as I do not see any such thing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5769/dell-precision-t3600-review-dells-new-enterprise/2

Small%20(7%20of%207).jpg

@jzacks I knew precisely what you were referring to when you said "handle" because I owned the successor to your T3600 (T3610); T5810. I had a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G GPU. I did not find a solution and had to keep the side panel off. I had "heard" there is a way to remove that handle but I never figured it out. I recommend that you contact Dell and ask them if the handle can be removed from the panel. If not then your choice is to leave the panel off or downgrade GPU. Personally I'd just keep the side panel off.

Perhaps Dell sells a optional panel without the interior handle? It's worth at least asking them.

Solution
^Good suggestion.

@jzacks524, did you find a solution? I meant to follow-up with you about this. If not, you really should contact Dell and see if the handle can be removed from the side panel or if they sell a replacement panel without the handle.

The other problem with the 5810 that I bought is that the default PSU wattage is 425. I paid an extra $45 to upgrade to the 685 watt model, and it still only came with two 6 pin PCIe connectors. On my MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming card I had to use the included 6 pin to 8 pin adapter to meet my 970's one 6 pin and one 8 pin requirement. Now I notice that the 5810 has a new 825 watt PSU option, which I'm sure didn't exist with the 3600/3610 models.

Status
Not open for further replies.