GTX 970 G1 need urgent HELP

MrFreckles

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I already posted this last night but no luck.. so my issue is that everytime I update the driver, once the systeem boots, after a few second it loses display signal and never comes back. I have updated through the nvidia page and even through windows update which got me the same results. The system recognizes the card so I dont know the issue. Ultimately, I am doubtful about the way I plugged the card. It brought two cables and I dont know how to use them. I used the cable that says VGA that came with my evga g2 850w psu which ends are 1x2 pin + 1x6 pins. I conmected the 6 pin one and 2 pin one is hanging. The card has its extra 8 pin unused... Please help. This is my first pc build.

Solution

Yes :)

Plug the 8 pin end into PSU, and the 6 + 2 into the gpu if its 8 pin, or the 6 pin on it's own if it's a 6 pin connector.

Essentially there shouldn't be any power connector pins left not connected on top of the GPU.

Yeah you have to connect power to all the power connector pins on the card...

If the card has 2 x 8 pin connectors, the way it works is the 2 pins slot together with the 6 pin connector to form an 8 pin one. Does your power supply not include a second 2 + 6 pin pcie power connector?

Edit: Well just had a look and according to nVidia the GTX 970 has 2 x 6 pin connectors on top, however some partner boards might use 8 pins instead.

Either way I had a look at your PSU and it says it has 4 x 8 pin (6 + 2 as your describe) PCIE power connectors so it's definitely got enough to do the job. Make sure both power connectors on top of the card are plugged in and you should be good to go :)

HappyGamer99

Reputable
May 27, 2015
so there is no plug plugged into the extra 8 pin? Because you need to have both plugs on your card plugged in for it to work fully. That is probably why it isn't working. I have a gtx 760 and i have both of the plugs in and it works fine

Yes :)

Plug the 8 pin end into PSU, and the 6 + 2 into the gpu if its 8 pin, or the 6 pin on it's own if it's a 6 pin connector.

Essentially there shouldn't be any power connector pins left not connected on top of the GPU.

Solution

MrFreckles

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
That was the issue. Drivers installed smoothly! Thankyou guys! I know its too much bother but the psu sata connectors have about 3 ends. Am I able to use One cable for 3 diff hdd or i need cables for each one? My pc never recognized my second hdd so im just stuck using my SDD. But again, thankyou. I was stuck with my gpu issue all night. I reinstalled windows about 4 times.

No problem, hard drives / ssd drives don't use much power, so it's fine to run multiple drives off one cable like that. If the drive isn't working it could be faulty, that power supply you have has more than enough to run your machine (it's a really good supply).

One thing to check though, once you've plugged your HDD into the machine with the power and a SATA cable, can you see the drive listed in your BIOS (usually need to press Delete key or F2 on startup to get into bios, then all drives should be listed somewhere). If it shows in bios you may need to enable it in windows before you can see / use it (in windows 7 it's "control panel > administrative Tools > computer management" to get to the disk manager).