GTX 970 G1 would not output Bios screens with DVI

nitroman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
my spec : i7 4790k , Z97 Gaming 5 gigabyte , 8gb Ram ( kingstone value ram ) , GTX 970 g1 gigabyte , 720W Gigabyte PSY ( 80 plus) .
My Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 would not show the UEFI ( Bios ) screen as it shows no signal on my monitor until i reach windows login screen and it would work just fine and I am using the DVI port .

I borrowed a TV with HDMI and tried it out and it worked just fine , it showed the UEFI screen .

When i plug my monitor to the motherboard and removing the GPU , it will show bios screen .

Any Advise on how to make it work on DVI as I only can use it . Thanks

Solution
The problem would be with the graphics card's activation of the analog output signals on the DVI-I port. Gigabyte seems to have decided to only output an analog VGA signal on the DVI-I port only after the graphics card driver has been loaded in the OS.

Analog VGA is now an obsolete standard and you'll find support for that standard to be incomplete or non-existent on some graphics cards. Phaseout began in 2013 and was suppose to be completed by 2015.
The problem would be with the graphics card's activation of the analog output signals on the DVI-I port. Gigabyte seems to have decided to only output an analog VGA signal on the DVI-I port only after the graphics card driver has been loaded in the OS.

Analog VGA is now an obsolete standard and you'll find support for that standard to be incomplete or non-existent on some graphics cards. Phaseout began in 2013 and was suppose to be completed by 2015.

Solution

nitroman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
This looks like it . Just one more question : If i bought something like HDMI to VGA adapter or DVI-D to VGA adapter do they actullay convert the digtial to analog ? since i want to avoid DVI-I to VGA cause that only takes the analog that actually are in the DVI-I which the GTX 970 does not output during boot .

Also is there any way to force send analog in the GTX 970 during boot ? so far my searches shows that it's impossible .

The DVI-I output has TWO separate sets of pins separate:
1) DVI digital
2) VGA analog

The VGA output that the VGA adapter connects to is just the DVI digital signal that's been converted to analog on the card via a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).

Digital signals must be converted to analog, but once it's analog there's often no 2-way communication AFAIK between the monitor and the computer.

(I'm surprised the VGA signal isn't sent at all times though, so can't speak to the above comment about the wait in the signal).

HDMI converter?
I don't think that will help. It's another DAC, but again I'm not sure why the VGA signal is being delayed.

I'll see if I can find more info.

Hey again,
I suspect the VGA signal is present, but that the monitor is not compatible with the UEFI screen settings.

The VGA signal AFAIK is automatically created and doesn't rely on Windows to suddenly start working. It most definitely makes NO SENSE to design a modern card which won't allow you access to your UEFI/BIOS. No way.

I'm not sure how to correct the problem aside from a new monitor though. The only thing you can currently access is the monitor settings.

Other:
I doubt this is the issue, but I suppose it's possible the iGPU is being defaulted to during bootup, and that the GTX970 is being detected going into Windows and the switch happens.

You'd have to attach to your iGPU to access your UEFI, then check settings related to the GPU switch (auto, PCIe, iGPU) and perhaps set to PCIe. It MAY also be that it's set to "auto" but isn't communicating with the monitor so doesn't "know" which GPU is needed so guess the iGPU.

(I'm out of my depth here)

Update:
*You have a VGA output on the motherboard. Since it works that means the monitor IS compatible with your UEFI screen settings.

So, again since I doubt the VGA signal isn't present on the GTX970, my best guess right now is that the motherboard is defaulting to the iGPU on bootup, then switching to PCIe later.

*Perhaps GIGABYTE can answer this question??*

nitroman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I did tried to with a TV which uses HDMI and i plugged it on the GPU it worked and showed the UEFI screen. and for the settings i did changed it from auto to PCIE with no luck .

TRENDING THREADS