[SOLVED] gtx 970 Gigabyte Windforce heatsink removal

Brakheart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
Hello all.

I want to remove the heatsink from my GTX 970 from Gigabyte, Windforce OC edition (NOT THE G1 GAMING ONE) to change the thermal paste, but for some reason I'm not able to do so. I removed all the necessary screws from the bottom part (see picture below)
View: https://imgur.com/a/raThOZ9
(it won't let me insert the link as a picture for some reason)
but there is still something holding the heatsink and PCB together. I believe it's the thermal pads (see picture below)
View: https://imgur.com/a/WTyabrP

If you need any more information feel free to ask.
Any help is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Solution
If you are certain all screws are removed, it's likely just "stuck" from old compound. This is normal from thermal cycling of old paste over time. Thermal pads themselves dont have much adhesion. Just carefully apply pressure in different corners to try and pull apart. Be careful and take your time, and be mindful of fan wiring/connectors once cooler assembly starts coming off.
If you are certain all screws are removed, it's likely just "stuck" from old compound. This is normal from thermal cycling of old paste over time. Thermal pads themselves dont have much adhesion. Just carefully apply pressure in different corners to try and pull apart. Be careful and take your time, and be mindful of fan wiring/connectors once cooler assembly starts coming off.

Solution

Brakheart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
I dissasembled it again and tried wigling it sideways this time and it worked! I managed to open it and change the thermal paste (even got an almost 10ºC drop in temps when playing AC Odyssey) without breaking a sweat. Thank you in any case for your response :)

syfiltzo

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
You should replace thermal pads as well. For VRM (2nd photo) get 1mm. For ram (4 around cpu) 0.5mm.
If you use AIDA64 for example.. you ll see vrm temp. Its different from gpu's cpu sensor. High vrm can burn your card. Even high ram temp.
Thermal pads are not like paste, to change them every time you dissasemble card. In good condition you keep them. But its better to change them.
By the way, Gigabyte made really good job in vrm cooling. Other gtx 970 dont have pads,sinks or etc.
Friendly regards from Greece.

May 17, 2020
You should replace thermal pads as well. For VRM (2nd photo) get 1mm. For ram (4 around cpu) 0.5mm.
If you use AIDA64 for example.. you ll see vrm temp. Its different from gpu's cpu sensor. High vrm can burn your card. Even high ram temp.
Thermal pads are not like paste, to change them every time you dissasemble card. In good condition you keep them. But its better to change them.
By the way, Gigabyte made really good job in vrm cooling. Other gtx 970 dont have pads,sinks or etc.
Friendly regards from Greece.
Hi man, i have to clean my 970, its the same model but 1.1 rev (pretty sure no big differences). Where did you know, that this card uses that thickness. Your measurements or answer from GB support? btw Its almost impossible to find this info. One way is to ask the support, what i did, but i think they wont answer quickly. :(
PS This card unfortunately dont support VRM temp sensor.