gtx 970 gives "this input is not supported" when playing games, occasional shut down due to Asus power surge protection

Petch

Prominent
May 17, 2017
recently my computer has been acting up and everytime I've started to play a game (like league) I'd get an message displayed on the monitor saying "this input resolution is not supported. please change to 1920x1080 at 60hz" even though that is what the monitor was running at and the game settings have it set on that resolution - it's never been a problem and has just started happening recently.

However, if the game loads fine then there is a high chance that the computer will shut down and I'll get the message "ASUS has detected a power surge and shut down to protect your data".

I'm assuming that it's the power supply acting up as I've tested the graphics card on a different monitor and it worked fine until the computer randomly shut off. I built the computer and it's a month shy of being 4 years old, but i need clarification if it really is the power supply.

Any help is greatly needed and appreciated.

Try a different power supply.

Well, a different power supply will either A) Work. (because the PSU is the problem) or B) Not work. (because the motherboard is the problem and maybe still the old PSU)

PSU testing equipment costs 10s of thousands of dollars to actually diagnose PSU details.

Petch

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Update: been on the computer all day without playing games and there's no problems occurring. this is very confusing lmao, this weekend I'll try gaming on a new PSU and if the problem still persists than it's either the mobo or graphics card (which seems unlikely cause the card is only a year and a half old). I appreciate the help!

Petch

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Thanks for the help! Put in the new PSU last night and haven't had problems since! Any reason why the graphics card was the first to show an error when the PSU was dying?

GPUs typically draw the most power and have the most ramp up of power request of any device in the system. GPUs typically use 150 or more watts of power, but only the absolute highest end CPUs get anywhere near that, and everything else in the system draws like less than 15 watts.