GTX 970 giving me multiple Blue Screen of Death issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James27

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
So I recently bought a GTX 970. It installed fine, drivers installed and it re-started with no problems. I only get issues when I start up a game and get in to actual gameplay. I've tried two games so far. The first is Lords of the Fallen. Within a few seconds of loading a game, everything freezes, and then the whole screen goes a bright, lime green. After a short while my PC restarts. When it gets back on to Windows, an error report says it's recovered from a Blue Screen. The BCcode is 116.

The other game I've tried is Wolfenstein: The New Order. This game does slightly better, but it's still very unstable. It freezes for about a minute every few seconds, and when I open the menu. After a few minutes I actually do get a Blue Screen, and when it restarts the BCcode this time is f4.

Again, when I'm on the desktop, and in in-game menus, everything's fine. It's only when I get in to actual gameplay there are problems. Graphics drivers are definitely up to date. I did have an AMD card before but I used DDU to clean out the drivers. Probably also worth mentioning, once when it restarted from LotF's lime screen, I opened the case and the GPU felt super hot, but I according to GPUTemp it never went above 60 degrees.

Specs:

CPU: Core i7 3770
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: DDR3 16GB
Motherboard: P8H77-V LE
Hard Drive: wdc wd5000aakx
PSU: 600 watts

Edit:

More details on the problem, according to the Reliability Monitor.

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20150304-1837.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8008B5F010
BCP2: FFFFF8800423645C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Solution
put a pointer to the actual GTX 970 card you have. various manufactures have made factory overclocked versions that will hit timing problems with the default device driver or the timing of the PCI/e bus settings in your BIOS. Also, some GPU can have GPU BIOS updates or you can use a utility to set the GPU timings to match the stock timings for the reference card.

-you might list the actual PSU name and model number.

-you would not have to install windows 10 or 8, I just mention that they will do extra data integrity checking of your hard drive for you.