gtx 970 high temps when idle

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
I have 2x 60hz, 1x 144hz monitors. The idle temp for my evga gtx 970 is about 60-63c all the time with the fans spinning, because they turn on around 60c. When I play games it goes to about 70-75c.

The idle clock for the gpu is 135mhz when all 3 monitors at set to 60hz. When I have 2 monitors at 60hz and my gaming monitor at 144hz the idle clock is 937mhz. Normal?

Basically I'm asking if the 63c(fans on) idle @ 937mhz is okay, and not going to harm my gpu in terms of lifespan. I read that some people have have like 30-40 C idle temps, and I'm not anywhere close to that. If all monitors are at 60hz, the idle temp is like 50-55c. But I like to keep my monitor at 144hz all the time, because it looks nice.

Solution
You could change the fan settings (fan curve), so it starts the fans when it hits 45° C.
It takes more power to drive a 144Hz display than a 60Hz display.
Also you could use DDU in safe mode to remove the drivers and install a different version.
contact evga on those cards and the newer cards they had over heating issues. they dropped an updated firmware and sent people new cooling pads for there gpu. they can check by the unit serial number if it been updated already. if it has i would rma the gpu. you can look on you tube there few video of evga and there vrm over heating and going up in flames.

You could change the fan settings (fan curve), so it starts the fans when it hits 45° C.
It takes more power to drive a 144Hz display than a 60Hz display.
Also you could use DDU in safe mode to remove the drivers and install a different version.

Solution

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Thanks everyone for the replies!

@jojesa what software would you recommend for gpu monitoring and changing fan speeds and other settings for nvidia cards?

Would it be a good idea to get more fans in my case for more airflow? I have the phantom 410 case and never added any aftermarket fans into the case; it only has the 3 stock fans. Would another front fan be a good idea to lower gpu temps, maybe?