GTX 970 lag spikes and fps drop

Daad73

Reputable
May 25, 2015
So i built a new pc, i set it up then got a gtx 970 and a new monitor. Now im getting weird lag and fps drops, spikes and jittery lag while playing CSGO or new gen games. I have all the drivers up to date yet still it does it every few seconds as soon as i start the game. Even while i type this it lags.
specs:
i7 4790k 4.0ghz
gtx 970
250 gb samsung ssd
600w bronze evga power supply
gigabyte ga-z97-hd3 MOBO

Solution

Your graphics card is at a good tempeture but the CPU at 90? That's idle right? Well that's your problem. Go into the bios and switch your CPU fan speed to full on. It would be louder but it would stop lagging. You can experiment with the speeds to find out what is the quietist that keeps your CPU cool. If it is already on full on then get a better CPU cooler.

Daad73

Reputable
May 25, 2015

My temps are just fine, i haven't done anything on it but try and play games. When i start the witcher 3, it just runs at 10 fps or so. when i play CSGO, it starts with around 120 fps at the load screen then in game its 60-10 with spikes. Sometimes i have even gotten a nvidea driver has failed and restored message.

lucas7004

Distinguished
May 15, 2015

Make sure the graphics card is thermal throttling which means the card is way to hot and needs to cool. To check the temps open up MSI afterburner and scroll down to GPU temp. If the GPU is around 65 to 80 on idle, you have a problem. If not, tell me what your temps are.

lucas7004

Distinguished
May 15, 2015

Your graphics card is at a good tempeture but the CPU at 90? That's idle right? Well that's your problem. Go into the bios and switch your CPU fan speed to full on. It would be louder but it would stop lagging. You can experiment with the speeds to find out what is the quietist that keeps your CPU cool. If it is already on full on then get a better CPU cooler.

Solution

Daad73

Reputable
May 25, 2015
i put the fan speed at max and it lowered the temp of my CPU but it had no effects of the game play. the same thing is still happening. i have four fans in this computer so i would be surprised if its the heating issue.

Zeriu

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Do you have any other GPU in the house at all you could try instead of your GTX 970 just to narrow it down to something other then the GPU. If CSGO is working fine with stable FPS and no stuttering with a different card. Then I would say you have a thermal issue with your CPU.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Did you apply the paste between cpu and its connection correctly? Sorry my English is not that good. Or do the fans blow to correct side? Because the cpu is too hot. In idle state, something between 35-50 celcius is normal. Do you overlclock?

hypernought

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
TRY THIS, IT FIXED MY ISSUE,
Installing fresh drivers with DDU did not help me, it did for about 5minutes of gameplay. I said F*** it to GTA, i started playing fallout 4, and the same thing happened, blew my mind, even in WOW. I got suspicious/
The problem was my CPU was on almost full load and going up too 90 degrees C. I got some new thermal paste (almost bought new heatsink) and applied it properly (cleaning both cpu and heatsink. and BOOM FIXED
The GTX 970 is heavy on your cpu with the graphics it can handle, make sure that your CPU temp is below 70 and your game will not drop. I did this TODAY, and i have been playing gta 5 at 60FPS, i am using an i5.