GTX 970 No display on boot

tmaff1337

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
I have an i3 6100k, 650w psu, gigabyte h110m-a mobo, and an r7 370 gpu. Everything works perfectly but I want to boost my gpu a bit, so I bought a gtx 970 but cant get anything to display on my monitor with the new card.

Tried reseating the gpu several times, making sure it clicked in, tried 4 different 8pin plugs included with my psu, cleaned the terminals, updated bios to the latest edition, and still no dice.

I plug my old gpu in, and it works perfectly (been in the bios and online while old gpu is installed).

Please help! Im banging my head against the wall on this one.

Solution
SOLVED(ish)! Still haven't figured out why my HDMI port is not working since it works with my R7, but I connected a displayport cable to my 970 and my monitor and it works. HDMI doesnt work in HDMI1 of my tv but it works in HDMI2,3,4....strange because HDMI1 works when connected to my xbox or the cable box. I have the latest drivers and everything, and I figured displayport is better anyways, so I'm satisfied.

tmaff1337

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

HDMI was used for my r7 and also my 970, so yes. The fans spin for 3 seconds then stop. I forgot to mention the white LED is lit, and yes the gpu clicked into place, I made sure of it several times. I thought I didn't have enough power so I upgraded from 430 to 650w, and the both the 450w and 650w work with my r7 but neither the work with the 970. My r7 fans didn't spin on startup tho.

Cioby

Distinguished
Ok so your card is connected. It works and it's powered. But you can still run the r7 so I assume you didn't clean your previous drivers. (GPUs on idle usually just turn off since they are cool without needing the fans)
Google "DDU clean driver install" and install the app. Clean your GPU graphics drivers. Then get the new drivers from official Nvidia GPU driver website.

tmaff1337

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
I haven't tried downloading that app yet, but I did attempt to install the 970 drivers. I got the .exe downloaded, but it told me I couldn't install then without the proper hardware (I was installing the drivers with the r7 connected otherwise I can't see anything on the monitor). Will that app allow me to install the new drivers without the 970 being connected?

Cioby

Distinguished
No. Just clean your system of your old graphics drivers of AMD.
Then shut down. Change GPU. And boot. It should identify it if there are no issues. And then you can install the new drivers. Make sure you selected the correct version of driver for your Windows and x32 or x64

tmaff1337

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
Installed the software with my r7 connected, rebooted into safe mode (as the software recommended), ran the .exe, clicked "Clean And Shut Down (for installing a new GPU)", removed r7, installed 970, booted up and still same issue....

Cioby

Distinguished
You sure your GPU is good? If everything is connected it should work. Even without drivers. Try a different GPU slot or different cable.
But honestly it should at least show something, even when I had a worse PSU I still managed to boot my 980ti. Try contacting support or refund your GPU

tmaff1337

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
My GA H110M-A micro only has one PCI slot, but it worked on another computer. I have read so many of these threads where people are having the exact same issue, but most are unsolved and the solutions that ended up working, don't work for me.

I installed the 970, booted my PC up with IGFX selected in the BIOS and the HDMI plugged into the mobo, and was able to install the NVIDIA drivers. Rebooted and switched back to PCI in BIOS, but still no luck.

tmaff1337

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
I also forgot to mention that after I installed the drivers (using IGFX selection in BIOS so I could see what I was doing), the NVIDIA graphics panel recognized the GTX 970 as the graphics card installed in the PCI slot. I thought for sure once I rebooted and selected PCIe as the primary option for graphics boot device, I would be gravy. NOPE!

tmaff1337

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
SOLVED(ish)! Still haven't figured out why my HDMI port is not working since it works with my R7, but I connected a displayport cable to my 970 and my monitor and it works. HDMI doesnt work in HDMI1 of my tv but it works in HDMI2,3,4....strange because HDMI1 works when connected to my xbox or the cable box. I have the latest drivers and everything, and I figured displayport is better anyways, so I'm satisfied.

Solution