GTX 970 not being used?

Tm_carbon

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
So about two weeks ago I sent my GTX 970 graphics card to Gigabyte (who manufactured my specific model) for artifacting. I got it back today and they said it was my motherboard and I possibly had a bad slot. So I put the graphics card into the other available slot and I can't get my computer to switch from my onboard graphics to the graphics card. Device manager only displays it when It shows hidden devices (the fans on the graphics card are indeed running). I figured I could just plug the graphics card back in and have it running again but apparently I'm missing something? I know my system can handle the card since it has handled it for more than 2 years now.

Specs:
MoBo: AsRock H97m Pro4
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 4GB WindForce 3X
PSU: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified

Any help would be appreciated as I'm sure its a drivers issue and I have basic knowledge about drivers.

Solution
If the card was artifacting when placed in the primary pci-e slot of your motherboard.

It`s important to know exactly when the card was doing such a thing.

If the card worked fine with no artefacts or any screen corruption of any sort when the video driver for it was installed, and it was not displaying any artifacting or screen corruption while displaying windows desktop in any way.

Then the problem with the card when it happens running a game of any kind is either down to the Gpu speed needs to be lowered on the card, and the speed that the memory on the card is running at.

Try putting the card back in the first Pci-e slot of your motherboard.
Install the latest Nvidia force ware driver.
And before you start a game lower the clock...

Tm_carbon

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
I can't install new drivers because Nvidia Geforce Experience can't detect any Nvidia products (my gpu being one). Should I just use the installation disk for drivers even though my current drivers are more updated?

If the card was artifacting when placed in the primary pci-e slot of your motherboard.

It`s important to know exactly when the card was doing such a thing.

If the card worked fine with no artefacts or any screen corruption of any sort when the video driver for it was installed, and it was not displaying any artifacting or screen corruption while displaying windows desktop in any way.

Then the problem with the card when it happens running a game of any kind is either down to the Gpu speed needs to be lowered on the card, and the speed that the memory on the card is running at.

Try putting the card back in the first Pci-e slot of your motherboard.
Install the latest Nvidia force ware driver.
And before you start a game lower the clock speed of the Gpu, and the memory of the graphics card by 25Mhz or 50 Mhz
Via either the overclocking tool provided with the force ware software suite.

Or use Msi afterburner or evga precision to lower the clocks of the card.

Even if you lower both the speeds of the Gpu and the memory of the card by 50Mhz down clocking each, you will only loose about 1 fps when the card is running.

Sometimes a lack of power to the card can cause artifacting.

Or if you prior to the Nvidia 970 card had another pci-e based graphics card in the system where prior to fitting the GTX 970 card you did not remove the existing video card driver running with the old card from windows os.

The testing of the system with a new power supply should be the last thing to check.

Try lowering the clock speeds of the Gpu and memory of the GTX 970 card first testing it with a game after lowering the clocks.

And if any old video drivers for other based Pci-e graphics card where installed prior to the GTX 970 card removing or uninstalling them from widows, via add remove.

Solution

Tm_carbon

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Just removed the card and uninstalled the drivers however now with the card being back in my system device manager and Nvidia Geforce Experience can't see it. Turns out I was wrong about having a disk for drivers instead it was just a program for overclocking the gpu.

In reply to Shaun o
My graphics card would artifact during the windows startup and quit after 5 seconds or so. I didn't get any artifacting while playing games but since I spent $370 on it and I was still on warranty I sent it in to make sure it worked properly. I also have never had any other graphics card or drivers in or used on my system. However I may end up trying your suggestions.