GTX 970 on a Cooler Master Thunder 450

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Hello guys, I'm looking to upgrade to a GTX 970 video card, Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix DCII Edition, that requires 1 6+2 pin power connector:

Here's my PC specs:

CPU: i5-4460 3.1 GHz
GPU: 7770 HD 1GB
RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz
HDD: WD 320GB
PSU: Cooler Master Thunder 450
ODD: ASUS SATA DVD-RW

see link : http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-thunder-450w-450-watts-psu/p/itmdbm7fpuzpszvf

This PSU has 1 6+2 pin power connector
TDP for this card is around 145W, i would like to know as i'm not using much hardware that overclocks will it work or i need to change PSU?, also i do not intend to overclock this card. Pls Reply

Solution
I had upgraded my GPU and it's Running fine with this P.S.U. for now, only the time will tell how long this PSU will last, for testing i stressed this GPU to 100.2% TDP with around 1303MHz to 1378Mhz OC from 1114Mhz normal GPU Clock no voltage tweaks[OC through Asus GPU Tweak II]. It never game me any red/bad signal measured with GPU-Z. Temps were normal it never went above 66'C under heavy load.
Also this card comes with a LED indicator: White light means it's been supplied with adequate power and RED means inadequate power is supplied and it will never start on RED LED.
In my case White always.
Tested with UnEngine heaven 4 benchmarks ran for almost 1hr with settings D3D11, 1080p , Tesselation Extreme, 8xAA, Quality ULTRA. Results...
That's not a great PSU....but if you're not overclocking it should be able to handle a GTX 970 as it's an efficient card. Just know that you will be taking somewhat of a risk as sometimes those cheaper multi rail PSUs can be a bit overstated in the amperage available.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I had upgraded my GPU and it's Running fine with this P.S.U. for now, only the time will tell how long this PSU will last, for testing i stressed this GPU to 100.2% TDP with around 1303MHz to 1378Mhz OC from 1114Mhz normal GPU Clock no voltage tweaks[OC through Asus GPU Tweak II]. It never game me any red/bad signal measured with GPU-Z. Temps were normal it never went above 66'C under heavy load.
Also this card comes with a LED indicator: White light means it's been supplied with adequate power and RED means inadequate power is supplied and it will never start on RED LED.
In my case White always.
Tested with UnEngine heaven 4 benchmarks ran for almost 1hr with settings D3D11, 1080p , Tesselation Extreme, 8xAA, Quality ULTRA. Results [1st Run only]: Score 1356, FPS: 51.6,Min Fps 23.9,Max FPS 111.9
Were normal Again.
Well i'm not going to pick this as a best solution as configs and situations vary with different PSUs, for me it worked, who knows it may break down as i have taken a risk on my own.
I aslo had chat with asus guys they said 500W is min for any full length version of this GPU, only exception is Mini Version:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GTX970DCMOC4GD5/

which will work with a 80Plus gold standard 450W PSU.
So, people with a good 80 Plus gold std. 450W PSU can run a GTX 970 mini version asus / gigabyte version, that is with no probable risk.
Happy gaming guys.

Solution

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
In my case White always.
Tested with UnEngine heaven 4 benchmarks ran for almost 1hr with settings D3D11, 1080p , Tesselation Extreme, 8xAA, Quality ULTRA. Results [1st Run only]: Score 1356, FPS: 51.6,Min Fps 23.9,Max FPS 111.9
Were normal Again.
Well i'm not going to pick this as a best solution as configs and situations vary with different PSUs, for me it worked, who knows it may break down as i have taken a risk on my own.
I aslo had chat with asus guys they said 500W is min for any full length version of this GPU, only exception is Mini Version:

which will work with a 80Plus gold standard 450W PSU.
So, people with a good 80 Plus gold std. 450W PSU can run a GTX 970 mini version asus / gigabyte version, that is with no probable risk.
Happy gaming guys.

Sorry guys for replying this very late late, indeed that CM 450 was found underwhelming, and i lost performance in heavy loads as if that PSU was not able to deliver required power much consistently.
I bought Seasonic s12ii 620 and is serving me well since 2016.