[SOLVED] GTX 970 or GTX 1650 OC. Which should I choose?

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma as to which graphics card I should use in my PC, and just wondering if any of you guys can help me decide which I should use.

In my PC at the moment is an MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G, which runs perfectly fine still, but is obviously starting to age now. I have been offered an Asus Tuf Gaming GTX 1650 OC at what I believe is a really good price, which is a lot newer and has GDDR6 memory. However, when looking at comparisons between the two it seems that the GTX 970 still seems to offer the better choice in terms of performance, and the only reason to side with the GTX 1650 would be that it is a lot newer, incorporating more recent technology.

I know my decision should be based on what I intend to use the GPU for, which would be general PC use and some gaming. I'm not a huge PC gamer, I mainly rely on consoles, but when I do play the few games I have on PC, I want it to be the best experience possible in terms of resolution and refresh rate. I also need to factor in the issue of the age of my GTX 970, now there's nothing to suggest it won't go on for another 2 or 3 years yet, but I don't want to pass up a newer GPU if it can offer equally as good performance, if not better, as my 970 has given me.

So with that info in mind, which of these GPUs can offer me the best experience based solely on performance, and should I still consider the 1650 based on it being a significantly newer GPU, even if its performance doesn't match the 970? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Hi All

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma as to which graphics card I should use in my PC, and just wondering if any of you guys can help me decide which I should use.

In my PC at the moment is an MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G, which runs perfectly fine still, but is obviously starting to age now. I have been offered an Asus Tuf Gaming GTX 1650 OC at what I believe is a really good price, which is a lot newer and has GDDR6 memory. However, when looking at comparisons between the two it seems that the GTX 970 still seems to offer the better choice in terms of performance, and the only reason to side with the GTX 1650 would be that it is a lot newer, incorporating more recent technology.

I know my decision should be based on what I intend to use the GPU for, which would be general PC use and some gaming. I'm not a huge PC gamer, I mainly rely on consoles, but when I do play the few games I have on PC, I want it to be the best experience possible in terms of resolution and refresh rate. I also need to factor in the issue of the age of my GTX 970, now there's nothing to suggest it won't go on for another 2 or 3 years yet, but I don't want to pass up a newer GPU if it can offer equally as good performance, if not better, as my 970 has given me.

So with that info in mind, which of these GPUs can offer me the best experience based solely on performance, and should I still consider the 1650 based on it being a significantly newer GPU, even if its performance doesn't match the 970? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Forget 1650. It's not great GPU. Just wait a bit more and make a better upgrade with better GPU, but right now prices are crazy for GPUs, so I would suggest you to have a patience and wait more until prices go back to normal.

I also need an upgrade, my GTX 1070 is struggling on 1440p, but prices are so caca that I can't upgrade at this moment.