GTX 970 or GTX 670 x2?

K Crafton

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
Just a quick question - I am contemplating upgrading my GTX 670, but I'm not sure if it'd be more beneficial to pick up another 670 and SLI the two {I have no experience w/ SLI} or to pick up a 970 and just replace the 670.

So, GTX 670 SLI or GTX 970? Or would you suggest a different GPU altogether? My price-range will be around $400 tops.

Solution
970, easily. Much lower power consumption, better support in all titles, especially those with poor SLI/Crossfire profiles and unless you buy a used card, which is a generally bad way to go for a variety of reasons, I don't really see that there's much in the way of availability on a new card and if you do find one new it will likely be more expensive than what makes sense.

Plus, the 670 won't support upcoming DirectX 12 instructions while the 970 will.

Plus, a single 970 isn't going to be THAT far off the mark when compared to 670 SLI. Maybe 20-30% less, but maybe not at all on some titles with poor SLI profiling.
970, easily. Much lower power consumption, better support in all titles, especially those with poor SLI/Crossfire profiles and unless you buy a used card, which is a generally bad way to go for a variety of reasons, I don't really see that there's much in the way of availability on a new card and if you do find one new it will likely be more expensive than what makes sense.

Plus, the 670 won't support upcoming DirectX 12 instructions while the 970 will.

Plus, a single 970 isn't going to be THAT far off the mark when compared to 670 SLI. Maybe 20-30% less, but maybe not at all on some titles with poor SLI profiling.

Solution