Gtx 970 or Rx 470 (I3 3220)

Shenzuke

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
Hey guys!!! :) Some doubts on gpu. Will the gtx 970 be better or Rx 470 on an i3 3220. Which will bottleneck more? I just want a rx 470 equivalent in nvidia since (Nvidia) drivers have better optimisations. Just want to play Just cause 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Watch dogs 2 etc. Above 40-45 fps is good on high settings. Will the Crimson drivers be okay on these games? Nvidia has total rollback of drivers and Geforce experience and kther stuffs too. Thanks a lot guys!!! Gtx 970 vs rx 470 ( ok with a good 500w psu?)

Solution
Not sure where this 30-40% bottleneck is coming from either.

If you grabbed even a flagship GPU you wouldn't see too much trouble with the i3. You might have 10-15 FPS less than someone running an i7, but it won't be quite as dramatic as only running 30-40% as fast.

The GPU will do its thing most of the time. Just needs the CPU to feed it a little data. The CPU becomes a limiting factor when you run a game that requires more CPU horsepower. On high end recently released games you probably will perform less than others with faster processors, but you will still have that GPU available for less CPU demanding games.

Bottlenecks really only apply at the top end when you are trying to get the most performance out of a system. When you are...

Shenzuke

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
Gtx 960 costs 30$ less while rx 470 and gtx 1060(3gb) cost the same! The thing is bottleneck budd, Gtx 1060 works only 30-40% on I3 3220 so the rx 470 is OK? Or gtx 970?

jeffredo

Distinguished

I'm sorry, you mention a GTX 960 here. Did you mean to say 970? If its $30 less than an RX 470 by all means get it - its a good 10% faster. If it really is a GTX 960, no, don't get it. Quite a bit slower than an RX 470.

Shenzuke

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
I mentioned a 960 only, Rx 470 is good right? Amd drivers optimization and other. Stuff???? Can u even mention the fps I can get and there will be no problems from the drivers right? Compared to nvidia!?

jeffredo

Distinguished

You have GTX 970 is your thread title and in your posts. That's why its confusing. The RX 470 is substantially faster than a GTX 960 and would be worth the extra $30 IMO.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/RX_470_STRIX_OC/24.html

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure where this 30-40% bottleneck is coming from either.

If you grabbed even a flagship GPU you wouldn't see too much trouble with the i3. You might have 10-15 FPS less than someone running an i7, but it won't be quite as dramatic as only running 30-40% as fast.

The GPU will do its thing most of the time. Just needs the CPU to feed it a little data. The CPU becomes a limiting factor when you run a game that requires more CPU horsepower. On high end recently released games you probably will perform less than others with faster processors, but you will still have that GPU available for less CPU demanding games.

Bottlenecks really only apply at the top end when you are trying to get the most performance out of a system. When you are mixing new/old parts you get what you get. You should spend the most amount of money you are willing on whatever computer component you are buying to maximize potential performance.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

actually cpu matters a lot in BOTH the high end scenarios

AND the low end, with low resolutions where the cpu is the main fps determinator

also most new games are unoptimized poorly coded cpu hogs

well coded multi core games are the exception to the rule

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I don't disagree, since you covered all the scenarios pretty much as I did. I was pointing out that the numbers didn't make sense.

An i3-3220 is not usually going to be as bad as 30% of a top end system given an equal task when it comes to gaming. With a decent GPU even a fairly low end processor can do quite a bit for most games. As you say, though, on CPU limited titles the same results would be had either way.

I like to use BF1 as an example since they set the minimum requirements so high, but in reality almost any core or FX CPU is enough to play the game given an adequate GPU. Certainly a large gap between an i7 and an i3 in that scenario, but it is not as bad as you would think.

Shenzuke

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
So Eximo . U say that gtx 970 is OK with the I3 3220 than the rx 470? And by the way does bottleneck decrease with reducing the textures and other stuff? I am more willing to the 970 since it's nvidia and will I be able to play Just cause 3 and Batman Arkham Knight at above 40 fps on high settings? thanks a lot for everybody :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well I am not sure where you are buying from. If you like Nvidia and the GTX970 is within your price range, okay. In the US the RX470 is cheaper, and roughly as fast as a GTX970 in newer games. In older games the GTX970 usually comes out on top.

Bottlenecking is tossed around a lot. What it comes down to is what the system can do. Even if the CPU limits you in some situations, in others having the faster GPU will be useful. In an ideal world you have about 2:1 ratio in price for GPU:CPU. With an older CPU, that same money makes for a better GPU, and isn't a problem in my mind.

Shenzuke

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

Can u mention about the. Fps in the games I. Mentioned? (Just cause 3 and Batman Arkham Knight);) thanks

BTW: Both gtx 970 and Rx 470 are the same. Price here!

And are the drivers better in Amd or Nvidia ? (Crimson vs Game Ready) and. Does Rx 470 support v-sync?
No problems with drivers causing issues!?
(Drivers - No problem in games and with pc) Thanks! :)
Thanks. For helping me. BTW!!!